Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 03:19 PM

We will be on our first cruise in november on the pride and would like to bring some small gifts for our room attendant since that is the person who cleans your room daily and makes sure you have what you need. I just thought it would be a nice thought and maybe get better service too if you let them know you appreciate them, so I would like to hear from others to see if you have done this in the past and if so what sort of things could I buy them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 03:40 PM

I have been on many cruise lines and you will find different type of room sewards. Each time, I cruise, I give the seward $(cash) each day. It shows them a thank you right there and than. I found this works beter than pre-paying the tips or leaving the tip at the end. I only had one nad seward, who no matter what, did not go the extra mile.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:37 PM

Personal touch is always good. A good review for them at the end of your cruise is another way to reward their good service. Remember that all cruise staffs are on 6-9 month contracts and a good review will go a long way for them to get that contract renewal!!!

Steve
Old 06-15-2006, 05:05 AM

When I first get on Board I look for my Room steward....Introduce myself and hand them a $20.00 bill and tell them if they see beer in my room to make sure it's iced down.

They take care of me like a VIP. I'll also slip them a $5.00 bill again during the cruise.

I do this because I believe you should allways tip in advance.

T.I.P.S = To Insure Promise of Service

Although the Idea of a small gift is wonderful and I may try that as well. something truly made in america, maybe a shot glass or coffee mug, or something from a national park or world famous american location.
something they can bring back to their country.

Just my three cents
Old 06-15-2006, 10:00 AM

We are from Texas, and we took small refrig. type magnets of Texas and gave those as a small gift. The head waiter and assistant really loved them,as they were from Albania and Croatia (I think). Anyway, they were all surprised at the small token gift, as well as extra $$ tips. So, maybe something from your State!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM

That is a great idea I live in Oregon and we have lots of things here from Crater lake and other beautiful places! Thanks for the advice I will also take some coffe mugs or something similar I think and definitely give some $$$ the first day in advance. Any more ideas anyone????
Old 06-16-2006, 08:56 AM

I do the same as Mr.October, with the exception the TIP is "to insure prompt service" I only give them $5 after all luggage is delivered, or when they knock on the door to meet me. I do take the time to let them know that I TIP based on service and that I cancelled pre-paid gratuities. My beer is always on Ice also. And then I tip them above what they would have got.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:14 AM

I like the idea of giving them cash daily, but how difficult is it to cancel pre paid grats. Last time I tried to do that, the told me they could not, but we could give over what was taken out of our sail and sign, but this was several years ago. Do you just tell them when you give them your credit card???

Thanks
Cruisin in 2 days!!!!!!
dixie67
Old 06-16-2006, 06:01 PM
we have gone down to purser on the first nite and or the second day and had them remove grat. I prefer to give them all thank you cards with the money enclosed
Old 06-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Administrator

$ is usually the best gift, along with - as Steve mentioned - a positive mention on the comment card if warranted.

They have so little room in their cabins that unless you know them well, I'd avoid buying something they don't need that will take up space.

Regarding the cancellation of automatic gratuities, note that some lines will require that stewards not tipped through the automatic policy turn in for pooling the cash they had received. (I have no idea how they enforce this, though.) If you leave the auto-gratuities in place, any cash they receive is theirs to keep. I do not know if this is the case on Carnival, but it was on the other Carnival Corp. lines we used within the past couple of years. When we tip extra, I enclose a note stating that this is in addition to the auto-gratuity, and I say that, as well, when presenting the envelope. I'd check with the purser's desk first -- although on HAL, we actually received letters in our documents and upon boarding to that effect.

Closed Thread

Tags
attendants, cruise, employee, employees, gift, gifts, ideas, leave, leaving, review, room, service, ship, staff, workers