Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 06:28 AM

Just got off the Triumph/western carib cruise yesterday. I won't get into a long review but just touch on the good and not so good.

Good
The service and food in the dinning room were excellent. Much better than we had on the Glory a couple years ago. Our waiters, Bobby and Rhoderick and were excellent.

Overall service on the ship was excellent. The staff were very friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

The production shows were very good.

Overall the ship activities were very good. Lots of fun and lots of stuff to do.

Not so good stuff.
Pretty minor complaints overall but I will mention them. Embarkation and debarkation are a nighmare. I don't understand why they make it so difficult. Carnival really needs to figure out how to do bingo on their ships. It is just horrible. Of course, if one doesn't like it, don't play. The assistant cruise directers who were running the trivia contests and bingo seemed confused most of the time. They didn't know what they were doing which was very frustrating for the people playing. Add the fact that we couldn't understand them because of heavy accents. Again, don't like it? Don't play.

Ports of Call-
We rented a jeep in Cozumel and drove to the wild side of the island. We found a beautiful beech, $2 beers and had the little club all to our selves. It was awesome.

We took the sting ray city tour with Moby Dick tours in Grand Cayman. Lots of fun. The snorkling on the reef was some of the best I've ever done.

In Ochos Rio, we took the Cool Runnings boat to the falls. That was the only ship excursion we took and it was a blast. The falls are awesome and the ride back to the ship with the rum punch flowing got really wild. Beware the rum punch. They use 151 proof rum and it will knock you for a loop. They don't care who drinks it and we saw more than one teenager completely out of their minds on this stuff.

A note about Dunns River Falls. I read a lot about people's concerns whether they can climb the fall or not. It is a bit strenuous. I climbed it with really bad knees and being about 60 pounds overweight. My parents, who are 78 and 79 respectively both climbed the falls and were no worse the wear for it.

A few notes-
We brought "some" booze with us in our luggage. It included rum, wine and even some beer. Never had a problem. In fact, prior to the cruise we looked at the ships wine list and bought the recommended wine at home. We took 5 of the recommned wines and took a bottle to dinner on four occasions. I called the wine steward over and offered to pay the corkage fee. She said, because the wines were what the shipped served there was no fee. She said she assumed the wines were part of gift basket from the ship, "Right?"

I said "Uh..."
She said "right?".
I said. "uh...right". I did end up paying our waiters an extra tip for opening and corking our wine on the night we brought it.

Overall a great cruise.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:25 PM

Well great! Sounds like you guys know how to have a good time and make the best of the not-so-good times...
Kudos to your parents on the climb up DRF. I climbed it last year (at age 34) and at times, I would stop and ask myself, "Can I really do this?"
On the one part where you can sit and slide, I did, but I hit my back on the rock and had a big scrape on my back for the rest of the week... but I agree, it's a must do in Ocho.
Thanks for your review! I'm gettin' excited about mine just reading about yours
Old 04-24-2006, 04:06 AM

Hi Gary,
we are leaving 5 days same cruise, can't wait! can't sleep, can't work.....anyhow, did you have to be tendered to the port or can the ship dock? Also, I have seen a lot of reviews about having trouble getting around the ship, did you find this? I am not really worried about it because that makes it even more eventful. Just wondered what your thoughts were.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Mac:
Just got off the Triumph/western carib cruise yesterday. I won't get into a long review but just touch on the good and not so good.

Good
The service and food in the dinning room were excellent. Much better than we had on the Glory a couple years ago. Our waiters, Bobby and Rhoderick and were excellent.

Overall service on the ship was excellent. The staff were very friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

The production shows were very good.

Overall the ship activities were very good. Lots of fun and lots of stuff to do.

Not so good stuff.
Pretty minor complaints overall but I will mention them. Embarkation and debarkation are a nighmare. I don't understand why they make it so difficult. Carnival really needs to figure out how to do bingo on their ships. It is just horrible. Of course, if one doesn't like it, don't play. The assistant cruise directers who were running the trivia contests and bingo seemed confused most of the time. They didn't know what they were doing which was very frustrating for the people playing. Add the fact that we couldn't understand them because of heavy accents. Again, don't like it? Don't play.

Ports of Call-
We rented a jeep in Cozumel and drove to the wild side of the island. We found a beautiful beech, $2 beers and had the little club all to our selves. It was awesome.

We took the sting ray city tour with Moby Dick tours in Grand Cayman. Lots of fun. The snorkling on the reef was some of the best I've ever done.

In Ochos Rio, we took the Cool Runnings boat to the falls. That was the only ship excursion we took and it was a blast. The falls are awesome and the ride back to the ship with the rum punch flowing got really wild. Beware the rum punch. They use 151 proof rum and it will knock you for a loop. They don't care who drinks it and we saw more than one teenager completely out of their minds on this stuff.

A note about Dunns River Falls. I read a lot about people's concerns whether they can climb the fall or not. It is a bit strenuous. I climbed it with really bad knees and being about 60 pounds overweight. My parents, who are 78 and 79 respectively both climbed the falls and were no worse the wear for it.

A few notes-
We brought "some" booze with us in our luggage. It included rum, wine and even some beer. Never had a problem. In fact, prior to the cruise we looked at the ships wine list and bought the recommended wine at home. We took 5 of the recommned wines and took a bottle to dinner on four occasions. I called the wine steward over and offered to pay the corkage fee. She said, because the wines were what the shipped served there was no fee. She said she assumed the wines were part of gift basket from the ship, "Right?"

I said "Uh..."
She said "right?".
I said. "uh...right". I did end up paying our waiters an extra tip for opening and corking our wine on the night we brought it.

Overall a great cruise.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM

Rose&Brian,

Take me with you!!! I am ready to do it again.

We tendered in Cozumel and Grand Cayman. The Royal Caribean ships have what looks like a temporary pier to dock at. Carnival and the others have to tender ashore.

Consequently, it took awhile to fill up the tenders and unload at the dock so it does take awhile. I think we waited about 30 minutes to get off. They also let those people on ship excursions off first by giving them a numbered tender sticker. However, if you go to the theater were they gather, they will give you a sticker no questions asked and you can just get on a tender.

I was in Coz two years ago and I was shocked this time to see the once huge pier nothing but big chunks of concrete and twisted metal.

Grand Cayman uses smaller, more frequent tenders so it took very little time to get off the ship and get back on.

Ochos Rios has a long pier and you can just walk off and stagger back later (remember the 151 rum?)

In terms of getting around on the ship, I don't quite understand what you mean.

We were on deck 2 aft on the port side. (That's at the rear and on the left side of the ship for you land lovers). We were right around the corner from the rear elevators and stairs and the Paris Dining room was right up the stairs on deck 3. Deck 2 ran the entire length of the ship so we could walk fore and aft with no problem. Deck 5 and Deck 9 were the same. Not sure about the others, though I know you could not go end to end on 3 or 4.

One thing I didn't mention is that the buffet on the Lido deck is always crowded at breakfast and lunch. The lines were long, though not too bad when in port cause everyone went ashore early. After the second day we started eating b'fast and lunch in the dinning room and it was very pleasant. We got seated and served right away.

If you eat dinner in the Paris Dining room, say hi to Bobby and Rhoderick for us. They were our waiters.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM

Gary

Can I ask you how you packed your wine?? With it being packed away and the luggage getting thrown around (we are coming from LA to Miami) how can you assure it wont get broken??

Old 05-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I bubble wrapped ours and rolled in our clothes in the middle of suitcase, on plane I packed it in or carry on, and then moved it to checked luggage at dock, you also may carry it on in carry on luggage as they let you bring wine onboard
Old 05-17-2006, 02:56 PM

We just got off the Carnival Triump May 6th. What a vacation. I hadn't been there in over 17 years (Cozumel, Grand Caymond, Ocho Rios, Jamaica).

We had never been on Carnival before, but I loved the ship. I had read so many negative things about it, but they did not come to pass.

If you have any questions about anything on the ship or our tours we took, please feel free to ask.

Closed Thread