Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 AM
Administrator

There was some confusion initially when it was uncertain whether ships would call on Mexico.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 AM

we have never taken out the cruise insurance. But then again we would only lose a bit of money. My sister and I cruise together, she pays her half, I pay mine. We book an inexpensive room and fly or drive very cheaply. If something were to cause us to not make the cruise we would only lose a few hundred dollars each. it would not make or break us. But that being said, if my hubby every decides to go I would absolutely get the insurance because then I would lose double the money I am spending now. Also if my sister and I decide to splurge and get a fancy room I would do it. Alot depends I think on the cost of the cruise and air fare.
I know hurricanes can come but I also know that carnival or the airline industry will not put anyone at risk. If the airports close, I can guarantee the cruise ships cant dock either. So the airlines will work to re issue the ticket. Same with the cruise ships. Just my thinking.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Macmom, Your assuming any cancellation or problem is going to happen before your cruise. What happens if you hurt yourself in a port and have to take medical evacuation? What happens if you were flying and had a trip delay, thus missing your flight, and the ship, and having to catch the ship at a different port. What happens if your receive notice of a death in the family and have to fly home from a port? A lot of things to consider.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM

you are right about assuming it will happen before the cruise. never gave it any thought once i was on the ship... very good point
Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
i never bought insurance before to,but seeing someone evacuated by a helecopter in the middle of the carribean. now how much you think that would cost if you have no insurance? anything can happen.a slip and a fall.heartattack like this person had, anything,so i bought a policy last week

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 PM

We, too, watched a helo evac on our last cruise. We sat in the ocean for several hours waiting on the Coast Guard helo to arrive, then watched in shock as the airlift proceded. Everyone was as quiet as a mouse and the music at the pool was stopped. Several people around us were talking about the unfortunate passenger and family members being evacuated, and were hoping they had purchased trip insurance. Made a believer out of us! So, I am glad this forum encourages open discussion from both viewpoints to allow cruisers to make a choice. Happy cruising everyone! Enjoy it while it lasts!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:14 PM
We have purchased and have had the necessity of using cruise travel insurance for reimbursement for medical treatment on board ship. It worked quite well in that we had to cover the shipboard expense out of pocket ( Credit Card ) at time of debarkation. The Ship's medical officer provided the necessary documentation to us, we then submitted the paperwork to the carrier and were reimbursed in full within 75 days. This was "free coverage" provided thru our TA at time of booking.

As a result whenever I cruise I always have insurance coverage! (Note: My No. 1 is deceased-nowadays I travel solo!)

BillyBuzzy
Old 05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

I have personal experience with land-based medical evacuation by helicopter. Perhaps it will give some perspective on what it would cost if you needed it on a cruise.

When my wife was almost killed in a vehicle accident in 2006 they called in the local emergency helicopter service. She was 15 air miles from the nearest level one trauma center (Huntsville Hospital). Cost of the flight? $9,736. And many medical insurers do not cover the total cost of medflights. Some don't cover it at all. Thankfully our plan paid the whole bill.

Whenever I book a cruise I get insurance - privately - and I always make sure it includes at least $500,000 in primary medical evacuation coverage.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:26 AM
well guys I booked the carnival victory for next year summer 2010,

YES I DID IT AGAIN!!!

mother gift well... that is what I told my wife

and she is happy about it

so here is the deal
now I have a new baby casanova he will stay with my mother in Puerto Rico during my cruise and ince my sister is a doctor(mD) and she lives with her it should be no problem with the baby.

But still I am worried that something may come by the time my booking is up since he is a baby after all, I really don't know much of insurance but I will like to have one this time, just in case, and since I already save becuase I book it so early it will be a good choice for me here are my questions:

1. which company is a good one?
2. what should I be looking on insurance cover during my cruise?
3. Can I book one with carnival directly??

I am looking for a good insurance in case I have to cancel the cruise on the penalty time, or I f have to get back to Puerto Rico in case something happen

thanks guys
Old 05-12-2009, 05:53 AM

Cas, I usually get ours through the cruise line. The policies cover trip interruption, trip cancellation, and medical. There are many outside agencies as well. Dave had a link where you could compare insurance companies. Hopefully, he'll see this and will post the link. Congratulations on your mother/baby gift, what a great one!

Closed Thread

Tags
book, carnival, cover, cruise, date, flu, insurance, line