Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 PM

We did not book the cruise insurance, we never do. Well since this Swine Flu, maybe I should have the insurance. Can anyone tell me where they get their personal cruise insurance. We leave in a month and can no longer go through the cruise line.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

It is most likely too late for you to get insurance that will cover you in the event of Swine Flu. I've heard of one company that may be a possibility, but I know very little about them.

Still, it is not too late to get insurance for other contingencies that might arise, such as those that would cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip. Check the exclusion clauses very carefully when comparing policies.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:22 PM

we have never gotten the insurance. I am sure one day it will catch up with us. but I was wondering if anyone has ever had to use the insurance and what their experience was trying to get it to cover what ever the problem was.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 AM

I do not represent any trip insurance companies, but here is my logic. You insure your home, car, boat, jewelry, golf equipment, musical instruments, computers, life and health, etc. for a reason.....you have a vested value in each and don't want to risk a monetary loss. So, with a cruise "investment", why not get trip insurance? It is very inexpensive for what is covers. I think it is a smart investment and I will purchase coverage each cruise. Just my opinion and something to think about. Everyone, have a great time cruising!
Rodney
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM

oh please dont think i am saying not to get it. we just dont. we go to florida every yr for a week to disney world, sea world, somewhere in fla, we dont get ins for that either. But i would be intrested in hearing from someone that has had to used it.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Thankfully, we haven't had to use it, but we do get it. On our Christmas/New Year's cruise, there were at least 3 couples that missed the ship in Port Everglades because they flew in the day of the cruise. Well, they were suppose to have flown in the day of the cruise. Flights were cancelled/delayed and they missed the ship. They had to fly to St. Barts which was our first port of call. Well, we couldn't get into St. Barts because of the weather. So they had to fly to Tobago, which was our next stop. I know one of them ran out of money (credit) and I don't know whether the cruise line helped him or his insurance or a friend, but he did make it to Tobago.

I do know, if they didn't have trip insurance, they would have been out that money for air fare and hotel and food. It's not up to the cruise line to help them. I also know, if they missed the cruise entirely, they would have been out the money for the cruise without insurance. I don't know how much they paid for their cruises, but the least expensive cabin was around $2400/pp.

I have had my bags take an unexpected trip once. I don't know if it was because I had insurance or because the cruise line was being helpful, but they gave me a $500 credit in the ship's stores.

As Rodney says, it's an investment. At least it is to me. It's more expensive than a year's worth of car payments, so I don't leave home without insurance.

I do hope someone will post and let us know how it worked for them, though.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 AM
there is only 1 insurance that will cover the flu.i bought it last week at insuremytrip.com.it was the patriot T.R.I.P.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
there is only 1 insurance that will cover the flu.i bought it last week at insuremytrip.com.it was the patriot T.R.I.P.

Humms.. I was searching and found several that covered illnesses. There were a lot of stipulations though concerning when and where the illness came into play.

Dwayne
Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Actually, all of the travel insurance companies will cover you if you contract the swine flu regardless of when you purchase the insurance as long as you get sick after you buy the insurance (not a pre-existing condition). What they won't cover is cancellations due to concern of exposure to the swine flu or due to warings not to travel. The insurance policies have specific "covered reasons" for cancellation or interruption and will cover for only those that are specified. Some of the policies offer a "cancel for any reason" option that you can add to your policy by paying an additional premium however, you have to buy your coverage within 2 weeks of your first trip payment (one company is 21 days and with a plan that has 30 days) and you have to insure your trip to it's full pre-paid value. That option allows you to cancel your trip for any reason that is not otherwise covered by the basic coverage. You don't get full reimbursement - usually a 20 - 25 % co-pay and if you cancel you have to cancel no closer to departure than two days.

Best place to find coverage is one of the travel insurance comparison sites.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM
when i called they told me that this was the only one that had it..they could be wrong,wont be the first. i would get it though.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
book, carnival, cover, cruise, date, flu, insurance, line