Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Has anyone used their cingular phone on the Conquest, and how much were the charges?
Also, can I use a plug in type outlet expander? It has 3 ports and is horizontal? I think it should work, unless the electric outlet is up against a corner.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:04 AM

I have used SunCom AT&T in Key West for Emergency. Sure they have an outlet. I don't even want to see a Cell Phone on my cruise.

That is just me, Maybe other fellow Cruisers will enjoy your phone conversations. If I catch you walking up the decks disturbing other Passengers in a non-emergency way I will have no problem of throwing it overboard. I am not going to tolerate or listen to the **it while I am on Vacation.

Just so we are Clear, I would not reccomend SAVING your Chair with it.

As far as Electrical Outlets, They seem Ample.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:06 AM

Not to TAT in particular, just the notion of it.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:25 AM

No offense taken! I, too, get extremely annoyed by public phone conversations...was just worried about being out of pocket and unable to communicate with my kids in case of a problem.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 AM

Your cell phone will be useless on the Conquest unless you are in port. There are no cell towers floating around in the ocean. NCL has installed cell repeaters on its ships which would allow you to use it but I have not tried yet.. (Give me until October) When in a non US port, be careful as you will be dealing with international cell phone rates.

And I disagree with Islandcruz on the outlets. There is one in your cabin. if you need to plug mutliple thing in at once, bring a power strip (your one to 3 adapter will work).

I'm not advocating the use of the cell phone on your cruise, I'm just telling you what the lay of the land is. If your kids are going to be on the cruise with you.. bring walkie talkies for ship board communications (you can also rent them on the Conquest) Camp carnival offers pagers for parents of young ones.

If they are not going with and you want to check in once in a while, beware the ship to shore phone charges. We had not left Galveston yet on our cruise and my daughter used the cabin phone to try to call my wife's cell phone. It cost $30 to hear her voice mail answer the phone! Yikes.

I bring my phone and use it ashore if I need to make a call. The rest of the time its shut off and in the cabin...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-11-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I bring my phone and use it ashore if I need to make a call. The rest of the time its shut off and in the cabin...
Freedom has a similar setup aligned with Cingular (I think).

Emphasis on the shut off when you don't need it - I have an international phone and the last thing you need is a call from someone "back home" that doesn't realize you're out of the country. The least expensive way to call home from outside the US is a local phone card.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 PM

I totally agree with Jim about brining along walkie talkies. We forgot ours on our cruise and when the kids were out of pocket it was a nightmare trying to find them or reconnect. I wonder if they rent them on all ships.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:50 PM

I never saw rental walkie-talkies on a ship. You can buy them in almost every port. I have a dedicated pair I leave in my cruise luggage.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I have a dedicated pair I leave in my cruise luggage.
Make that CHECKED-THRU cruise luggage from now on!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:49 PM

Hey all, I was just kidding about throwing someone's cell overboard. Heck, they might throw me overboard! If I remember correctly my phone worked in San Juan and St.Thomas also. Jim is right about the outlet, if you need more than one thing charging at a time. I want to suggest trying to plug your things into your 1 to 3 adaptor before you leave and see how they fit. Sometimes the charging adaptors are bulky and won't fit side by side. Then a mini strip might be best. I am sure glad I was not flying to a cruise yesterday! I usually carry all that stuff and bathroom stuff in my carry on backpack. What a nightmare that would have been

Best to all,
IslandCruz

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cell, cruise, electric, electrical, holder, ins, outlet, outlets, phone, plug, shut, splendor, st, thomas