Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 AM

We are planning a family cruise with my daughter and her family for November. Our Granddaughter will be 18 months old. I'm sure she won't be the first 18 month old to cruise, but seems she's too young to do much. Can't go to Camp Carnival, can't go in any pool. Any suggestions on what she CAN do would be appreciated. (Just called Carnival, woman asked if she was "house broken yet".)
Old 03-07-2009, 09:17 AM

We are planning a family cruise with my daughter and her family for November. Our Granddaughter will be 18 months old. I'm sure she won't be the first 18 month old to cruise, but seems she's too young to do much. Can't go to Camp Carnival, can't go in any pool. Any suggestions on what she CAN do would be appreciated. (Just called Carnival, woman asked if she was "house broken yet".)
Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

You are correct. An 18 month old will not be allowed in Camp Carnival. They are very strict about the 2 year old minimum.

If the child is completely potty trained by then (no..swimmies are not allowed) they would allowed in the pool.

Camp Carnival does offer babysitting at Camp Carnival from 10PM - 3AM for $6 an hour for ANY age.

Personally, I would never do it unless I knew for certain that my child could handle the travel.

Every child is different. You know if the child handles travel well or not. If they do, then it will just be a matter of caring for the child 24/7. If they don't, then it will be a matter of dealing with a crying child whose schedule and surroundings are ascew....and dealing with neighbors who are not going to appreciate having their cruise ruined by irresponsible parents.

I would suggest that this child's parents get a room with a balcony. That way, the parents can relax on the balcony during the child's nap time.

I would hope the parents will be respectful of their neighbors because the walls are way to thin.

As the mother of a special needs child, our system has always worked well because I was smart enough to realize his limitations and work within those boundaries.

Dealing with a toddler requires the same attention.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:35 AM

LHP, you gave excellent advice. I especially agree with the parents getting a balcony cabin. Even sitting out on the balcony with a 18 month old child would be much more enjoyable for the parent.

Sonny
Old 03-08-2009, 01:35 PM

We are planning to "practice" a lot before our cruise.....taking her to noisy restaurants, lots of stroller rides, making sure her sleep and eating schedules are going to work with our activities etc.....
I can't think of too many situations on the ship where it is very quiet, and a babbling baby would ruin the mood. She only cries for a few minutes at bed time, so we should be fine.

I think my only time for a few drinks and some blackjack will be late night, when the baby is sleeping with Grandma.
My 6 hours at the pool on the "fun days at sea" will probably be cut to 1-2 hours during nap time.
You should be ok, as long as mom and dad are planning on including the baby in activities and keeping her happy, and not just dumping her on the grandparents the whole time.
Jul.07, March08....
Ecstasy March, 2010
Old 03-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a good plan, gschon23. We also did a lot of practice with our son when he was a toddler, particularly with the restaurants. That's a great idea about getting her used to lots of stroller rides. I had never thought of that one.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 PM

Thank you all for your ideas. She's a dream now, eats well in restaurants, on a sleeping and eating schedule, but that may change in the next 9 months as the "terrible twos" approach.

I like the idea of the stroller outings. And, with spring/summer around the corner, it's the perfect time for practice.

Again, thank you all.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 AM

Welcome to cruise chat, Tweetydee1022. I hope that everything goes well for you. I have witnessed positive cruises with infants and VERY negative cruises with infants. I have a daughter due in April and I am not taking her on a ship until she is 4-years old. On a cruise last year, our neighbors knocked on our door while we were unpacking and asked us to keep the noise level down since their infant was napping. We tried to comply but were soon interrupted by another rap on our door with the same impatient man requesting our silence. Well, I am not usually an unruly neighbor but, I didn't mind banging around the cabin for the rest of the cruise after that event. As mentioned above, walls on cruise ships are paper thin and transmit noise quite well. Pools are another issue... first and foremost, unless your child is TOTALLY potty trained, don't risk the safety of others by placing them in the pool. It is an irresponsible action that I have witnessed on far too many occasions. People can be very boisterous in the pools so you need to be with your child every second that he or she is in the pool. 18 months is very young and I wish you the best but I urge you to remember that others are on vacation as well.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Hi tweetydee1022, welcome to Cruise-Chat. What ship will you be sailing on? There are areas of the ship that your child could explore. Of course, at that age, someone will definitely need to be there 24/7. There are some ships that have the big screen out by the pool, so your daughter could watch while you're sunning. There's usually a band or a show of some type that she might enjoy watching. In ports she'll enjoy seeing the sights and playing on the beach. Make sure you have a couple of her favorite toys. There will be plenty to eat and she'll have fun taking all the newness in. I'm sure you'll find others with children around her age that can play together for a while, too. I hope you have a fantastic time and that you'll continue cruising as she grows. The older she gets, the more she'll love it! Best wishes and once again, welcome aboard.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 AM

...that story by Drlivingstone reminded me of the time some guy didn't want to share a black jack table with anyone. People can be very rude sometimes. He was playing 100 a hand, and whenever someone tried to sit down, he would very rudely ask them not to.
I just laughed at him.
If my neighbor had a baby, I would refrain from yelling and partying in the cabin, normal noises are to be expected. It seems pretty rude to go over and tell people to be quiet,UNLESS they are being really loud, and it is really late.
If the baby has not been conditioned to sleep with a tv on and people talking in normal tones, that baby may not be ready for vacation.
Jul.07, March08....
Ecstasy March, 2010

Closed Thread

Tags
18, activities, babies, baby, camp, carnival, child, cruise, month, months, pool, reviews, ship, taking, unboard