Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:13 AM

lol dont worry Im fine, if you dont hear from me after October 19th then start to worry.

Thanks for the Invite.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:56 AM

IslandCruz-

Maybe that expalins some of these... people who are sleep walkers. Maybe some are so active in sleep walking that they do something like that either accidently or because they are dreaming..

My sister used to found walking down the hallway fully asleep when we were kids... you had to guide her back to bed.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 PM

I previously served as a rescue swimmer for a helo sqaudron in the USN, and spent quite a few months at sea. Not exactly pleasure cruises, but I enjoyed it anyways.
Falling, jumping, or being pushed from a large vessel in the mid-ocean will almost always be fatal, due to a variety of conditions (ie contact with the hull, prop-wash,propeller injury etc).
Swimming in the ocean is far different from a pool.
So, even if someone sees you go in, chances of survival are very poor. An unwitnessed fall has about zero chances of survival.
Crewman often fell, or were blown, off of flight decks in the Navy.
Add in alcohol and stupidity, and I'm very surprised that there haven't been more accidents.
Be safe, always drink with somebody else!!!
(let them pay too!)
And no matter how mesmerizing it may look, swimming in the ocean at night as a cruise ship goes by is NOT fun!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wise2u:
another good reason they dont play the Van Halen song "jump" on these ships...i noticed the carnival triumph played a lot of Eric Clapton...seemed like he was on every time i got in an elevator...which is fine with me.
LOL!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrOctober:
sometimes the sea at night is mesmerizing. I look over the rail and have the feeling of just wanting to jump in to the white foaming water, as the ship cruises quietly into the night.
just to feel it.
anyone else get this feeling?

I just wonder if some people actually just take it all the way...it's a scary thought but it is a true feeling I have when looking over the Railing at night.

Just a thought...
Yes, Mr. O. That water WAS hypotizing at night. For goodness sake, it was hypnotizing during the daytime for that matter. I just believe in not leaning on the railing-UNLESS the ship is at a dead stop. At that rate you won't be dogpaddling behind the ship trying to catch up if you fall the heck off!!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:44 AM

Mr. O, You are quite welcome, I don't want to lose you man. You are one of the funniest and nicest people on this board

Jim C, Thanks for that story about your Sis, it is a weird thing. Never was afraid of heights untill that last few years. I even barricade windows that open at hotels above the 3rd floor.

We all have weird things we think it seems.

OFF TOPIC,

Cruise-Chat has a missing person today.

Dave56 Administrator

His Wife and Son were in a bad auto accident yesterday evening. They are in the hospital. Please visit General Chat and say some encouraging words.

IslandCruz
Old 09-20-2006, 12:24 PM

All jokes aside, one thing I did notice was when our ship came in and out of port EVERYTHING IN THE WATER QUICKLY MOVED WAY, WAY OUT OF OUR WAY. Especially in Cabo San Lucas. That little bay was just FULL of pleasure craft while we were there. Boats, water skiers, para-sailers, tour ships, catamarans - you name it. But when the Pride tooted it's really LOUD horn the waters cleared out clean. Fast. My point? Experienced water enthusiasts know that big ships are nothing to play with, especially not from IN THE WATER, close to its hull. I understand that water is hypotizing, tranquilizing. I guess ocean front property is so expensive because so many people love the sight of endless water and its sounds. But on a ship it seems to me it's best to enjoy the view and sounds from a safe distance back when the ship is moving (E.G., we could actually see the front go down and the back go up from our balcony when the sea got a little choppy). Plus, I was always worried (possibly unjustifibly-but why take a chance? And besides I'm a Mom) that the ship would hit a good wave and pitch me or one of the girls overboard if we stood right against the railing. WITH ALL THIS CONSIDERED---ADD too much alcohol to the mix and guess what? Teetering ship + teetering person + railing + plus deep water on the other side of the railing = Good Night Nurse. Day or night. Fortunately, the exterior side decks were closed and off limits at night. When we WERE outside enjoying nighttime activities, the folks in charge kept us in the middle of the ship near the pools and stages and interior patios. Better safe than sorry. But to be brutally honest, I was a medic in the military and if a person is hell bent on committing suicide, there really is nothing the cruise company can do to stop them. The cruise company could seal up the ship like a cocoon and a person who really wanted to do such a thing would find a way. I always just prayed that people who felt that way would accept help and have a change of heart before it's too late.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, missing, persons