Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 05:37 PM

Were going on the Conquest in Dec. Wedding and family cruise. Our grand-daughter, age 17 will be with us. I'm concerned about her exploring ship without one of us. What tips or thoughts about safety etc
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
As long as she stays in the passenger areas I would not be too concerned--some 17 year-olds are more savvy than others, of course, and she needs to keep her wits about her; but you need to impress upon her the importance of not accepting invitations into the crew areas, no matter how innocent they may appear. Exploring those areas is not a good idea.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 PM
As a mother and a counselor I would say have her hook up with other teens on board at their special get to gethers right off the bat. She will make a friend and hang out together..always safety in numbers. That goes for any woman. If she feels she is to big for the teen group (one foot in childhood and one foot in adulthood) then like mattox says have her stay in the passenger areas..always lots of people around. I can't see her being anywhere there isn't people a shout away.
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Excellent advice from f-mattox and baby doll. I'd view a cruise ship as a city you've never been to before. Staying in the populated areas and using common sense will very likely keep you safe, while going off the beaten path might be taking a risk.

Congratulations on the family wedding!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:58 PM

I would agree that f-mattox is giving good advice, but would add to use caution with everyone. However as long as she is in public area she is safe. Do not go to strangers cabins worker or cruisers.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Banned

I don't worry about my 17 year old daughter as much during the day when many people are out and about on the ship, as I do during the night hours. Maybe that's just me. It also depends on how social your daughter is. The teen group on Carnival seem to have good, clean fun. I have seen some questionable teens hanging around together in the past. As others have stated, have her stay away from the crew areas. A lot depends on your daughter. Is she outgoing or an introvert? If it makes you feel safer, give her a walkie-talkie to be in touch with you. That seems to always work in our family and it gives me peace of mind. The ship is a city in itself and a lot can happen if you're not careful.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 AM

If she can pair up with other 17ish girls, she will be safe as she would be at home going out with her friends. There should be plenty of same age kids running around to create a "group". I would have a talk with her about NOT accepting drinks from anyone except a drink waiter to make sure no body could be slipping a date rape drug into her drink. But that is valid advise for any high school party too.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 AM
Banned

There are people of questionable character everywhere. Common sense goes a long way in staying safe. I'd go one step further relating to accepting drinks only from wait service personnel: make sure the wait service person is ON DUTY. I have seen some wait/bar staff hanging around bars after their shift, and in plain clothes.

Staying in public areas and away from the staff quarters is sound advice, as is partnering up with someone. I'm not suggesting the staff are a bunch of low lifes, but things can happen...Passengers with a few drinks in them are more likely to pose a threat to teenaged passengers.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Banned

If she is still 17 when you sail, Carnival has a Club 02 which is for teens 15-17 and they have organized activities at night. This is where she can group up with some other teens (boys and girls) and they have a wonderful time.

One thing I would recommend. I always carry a Carnival insulated mug (with a top). I sing karaoke and am usually in there alone. I always sit close to the host and use a covered mug so that my drink is not to accessible while I am singing.

Just remind her that this ship is a small town and that you never know who your neighbors are. Sadly, the cops just busted a pervert and he had pictures of himself on a cruise with teenage girls that he had "alledgely" bought alcohol for.

Even my oldest son was never allowed on the outside decks (sides ...back or top) after midnight. He had to be only in areas that had "sides" .... like on Lido by the pool. It is outside, but there are windows on all sides.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:59 PM

One thing I would add to all the above...our kids are not allowed in anyone elses cabin and they are not to bring anybody into our cabin.

Closed Thread

Tags
17, allowed, carnival, cruise, cruises, dangerous, safe, saftey, ship, ships, teen, teenagers, teens, travel, unsafe, year