Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 09:38 AM

I truly hope as i am sure you that what you are saying is in fact not true. The one that I think we have to remember is that you are still on a ship with 3000 other people. When you are looking at the amount of ships out in open water every week you are bound to see an increased case of incidents. You are right that it spoils it for the rest of us. I for one don't want to see armed personal on ships like you do when you are going through security at the airports, however I do belive that we as cruise passengers have to us caution when in the bars and clubs late at night just like you do when you are at and all inclusive resort. It has always concerned me when tv shows depict what has happend because I belive that it is a one sided outlook on the concept of cruiseing. I would not walk down the street with 5000 cash in my hand and I belive that we still need to use the same caution on ships.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:16 PM

I do think all ships need security! I'm sure there are some type of officials in street clothes watching on parts of the ships, at least I hope there are! It would never bother me to see officers armed for our protection. There are criminals everywhere, and we hear more and more about crime happening on cruises.
We can't arm ourselves for protection when cruising with concealed handguns, so we need security to protect us and our families. Same as on air flights, and in airports. I hope it doesn't take another terror strike on a cruise ship before we see this happen.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:48 AM

Please know that she was a wonderful person that will be dearly missed. If you knew her you might know that she was plagued by a deep and long battle with depression. She tried every thing that she could including taking vacations such as this one. I can't imagine that she planned this and as a deeply religous and god fearing woman she would not have planned to put her family and fellow cruise goers through this. But unless you truley understand depression you can't know how she felt or what she might have thought at that moment. You need not make opinions or think badley of her, instead pray for us....the ones that love her and miss her....and think to yourself what you havent done today that you should. I thought i would see her on Monday I know that there is so much now i would have said 2 weeks ago when i saw her last.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:46 PM

shewasspecial.

Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

So sorry about your loss.

How did you know her?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:09 AM

I was very good friends with her son all through school and spent many days with her and her family. After college I returned back and became closer to her than even her son. Her memorial was on Friday and we have simply tried to focus on how she touched each and every one of our lives. She was so excited to go on this cruise I think it was a birthday present for which she celebrated just before the cruise.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41 AM

I feel so bad for you.

Please tell me the name of the funeral home and city so I can check with them about sending something they may have requested.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 AM

shewasspecial,

I am truly sorry for you and everyone who knew this woman, and of course, her family. Losing someone you love is so difficult. You miss them with every cell of your being. Losing someone who struggled with life and living is even that much harder. I just want you to know that you and everyone touched by this tragedy are in my prayers.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:00 PM

The family has asked that in lou of flowers or something similar that you make a donation to your church or favorite charity. We are doing well knowing that she is no longer fighting that internal conflict anymore however i can't imagine how her husband may be dealing with it. No one is asking him what hapeened. In fact i came here looking for some explanation. I just hope he doesn't spend the rest of his life questioning " what could he have done different" Besides the fact that she died and she jumped off the cruise boat was all that we all knew. At first i thought that she had made it to the water. I thought because we didn't get to burry the body just a memorial service. It is all so quick and confusing.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:14 AM
I love to cruise and yes the mysterious deaths of several passangers over the last few years is concerning but not alarming. If you think how many passangers a week are out to sea a handful of deaths is not unusual. This happens on land all the time. I have been on 3 cruises and on two out of three there was insidents. Not mysterious ones though.

The first one on the Vision of the Seas a man collapsed and died of a heart attack just as we left the dock for a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise. We were returning to our cabin when we heard the announcement come across the intercom....alpha alpha alpha to the persers desk. I knew that was a medical emergancy. We went out to explore the ship as we boarded only one hour before departing. As we walked by a big picture window we saw them working on the gentleman. Never understood why the ship pulled away from the dock knowing they had a medical emergancy. The ship then had to pull to another berth which took a while. Needless to say the first 3 days of my cruise I spent crying and thinking of this family and the vacation they did not have. It was a wife, husband, son, daughter and son-in-law. I made it a point to find their picture taken just before they boarded the ship. He looked so happy with a big smile. Did not look like a man who would be dead of a heart attack in just a couple hrs.

Our 2nd cruise was on the Conquest and as far as I know there were no incidents. Our 3rd cruise this past year was on the Wind. We had a passenger who had a medical emergancy and needed blood so the Coast Guard dropped supplies. A couple days later, one day before our cruise ended the woman had to be rushed to a hospital so the Coast Guard came back and she was transferred to the helicopter. Quite an event to watch.

My sister has been on 2 cruises and both also with events. Her first one 3 people died. We assume of heart attacks but not sure. Her second, a woman supposedly committed suicide by jumping but rumors were that she was thrown based on where she fell. If you jump you should go straight down but she landed several feet away at the bottom.

Something I think we should be more concerned about is terrorism. We no longer have the ability to carry on liquids on planes other than small amounts but what about the ships? We bring on cases of water/soda and all our personal hygiene products. What prevents this from happening on ships with thousands of people on board? I am getting more and more hesitant about boarding a ship now.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 AM

It is sad for the people she left behind and we all feel for them. I'm sure her husband/family are going through quite an ordeal trying to make sense of this as I am sure that all those who has been following these tragic incidents will take a moment on their next journey to sea, and think of all those lost souls. For the family's sake we should end this post.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Imagination Mar. 09
Carnival Destiny Nov. 2008
Carnival Liberty March 2008
Carnival Freedom Nov 2007
Explorer of the Sea Mar 2007
Carnival Fascination Nov. 2006
Grand Princess Feb 4 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb 2005
TSS Atlas 1988
Discovery 1983

Closed Thread

Tags
accident, acedents, arnival, attack, carnival, commits, conquest, cruise, death, deaths, died, heart, jumped, leight, suicide, woman