Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 10:06 PM

Has anyone taken the train from Livorno to Florence and toured on your own?

I've never been to Italy and speak no Italian, so I'm a little apprehensive about taking off that far from the ship on our own. I guess it is that fear of "missing the boat"!

I've read that Florence is not too hard to tour on your own.

Any suggestions?

Also any suggestions at the other Liberty ports as far as tours or excursions?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:25 PM

Criscruise,

It is very easy to get to Florence on your own. My family and I did this two years ago and had no problems. Your cruise line should provide a bus from the ship to the center of Livorno. This center consists of a large square and somewhere you will find a bus station. Take a local bus to the train station as it is to far of a walk. Then simply take the train to Florence. Florence is a wonderful city with lots of charm. Since you are in Europe you do not have to fear trains being late as they are very exact. It should cost between 10 and 15 pp roundtrip. It is well worth the trip. I used Rick Steves Florence guide book and loved everything he recomends. I will look around for it. If you are really that apprehensive of missing the ship then take the train to Pisa. The Field of Miracles is breathtaking and the gelato is to die for. Feel free to contact me is you need any help. Oh before I forget, if you ever have a problem finding something just ask a local as they are very helpfull. Just learn the basics and it will be smooth sailing (no pun intended). Enjoy!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:55 PM

Just found Rick Steves Florence and Tuscany guide book. You can find extensive advice in his books but I would advise seeing Accademia(David), the Duomo, and the Ponte Vecchio. These are absolute musts. Then if you have time either the Bargello Museum (Best Statues) or the Uffizi Gallery (Finest Paintings). Make sure you stop for gelato often and maybe a good lunch. When going to Accademia or Uffizi make sure you reserve tickets in advance as they are very crowded and I am sure you do not want to waste your precious time waiting in line for an hour. Make sure to call 055-294-883 a few days in advance or pay www.weekendafirenze.it to do it for you. Have a great time.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, cruise, easy, florence, own, port, rail, rick, rickstevesflorencelivorno, ship, steves, suggestions, tour, touring, tuscany