Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 03:01 PM

We are sending my parents on a Carnival cruise next year. When I called Carnival, The price of the cruise was much cheaper, but when I went to see a travel agent to ask questions about this same particular cruise he quoted me a price that was much more than the price that Carnival was? When you book a cruise do you use Carnival or a travel Agent? I believe the travel agent probably added a fee to the quote he gave me, even though he said that theres no fee. The travel agent did say that he would let me make payments until the cruise is paid off.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Find another agent. It is not routine to get a cheaper fare at Carnival. In most cases the fares should be the same. Carnival may have specials for a particular cruise, but they are supposed to be available to agents too. Also, agents can often access group space which can be cheaper than an individual booking. Many agents will reserve a block of cabins (group space) and can then offer these are good rates.

I'm thinking if this agent offered to let you make payments over time, he is padding things. The normal method is to make a deposit and a final payment. Group space can have smaller deposits, then sometimes another payment or payments, and then the final balance.

What cruise and date are you looking at? I'd like to do my own price comparison.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:10 PM

Yes, something doesn't make sense with that. For a list of Carnival approved agents for your area put your zip code here.

The price should be exactly the same unless they have group space as Dave noted. Then it would be possibly less, not more.

Dwayne
Old 09-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Maybe the travel agent is including port charges/taxes into the quote, or rolling insurance into that automatically? Our ta gave us a quote for the Gem and when I asked her to break it down, she had automatically put travel insurance in there, although we hadn't said for sure that we wanted it...

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 AM

The other day while I was on hold with Carnival, there was a recording saying they were giving quick quotes. It sounded like the quick quote did not include port fees, taxes ect. Perhaps you got a quick quote.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking if this agent offered to let you make payments over time, he is padding things. The normal method is to make a deposit and a final payment.
It's typical that an agent will allow the passenger to pay the deposit, and then make as many payments as they want until final payment time. The agent just calls the credit card into the cruise line each time the passenger wants to make a payment. If the passenger is making payments with a check, the agent can send an agency check into the cruise line each time, although some agents will collect payments and just send final payment into the cruise line when it's due.

If there is a long time between deposit and final payment, this is a great way for passengers to pay down the balance and not be stuck with a very large balance due, all at the same time.

Sandy
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
When I called Carnival, The price of the cruise was much cheaper, but when I went to see a travel agent to ask questions about this same particular cruise he quoted me a price that was much more than the price that Carnival was?
I agree that you should be sure what the quotes from the agent and from Carnival include. The quotes should be the same for the same type of room. It's very possible Carnival was quoting you the base price, without various taxes and fees added in yet.

Sandy
Old 09-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
and then make as many payments as they want until final payment time
I learned something new! I always thought that was something they did with groups but not individuals. But now that I think about it, why would it matter what type of booking it is.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
quote:
I'm thinking if this agent offered to let you make payments over time, he is padding things. The normal method is to make a deposit and a final payment.
It's typical that an agent will allow the passenger to pay the deposit, and then make as many payments as they want until final payment time. The agent just calls the credit card into the cruise line each time the passenger wants to make a payment. If the passenger is making payments with a check, the agent can send an agency check into the cruise line each time, although some agents will collect payments and just send final payment into the cruise line when it's due.

If there is a long time between deposit and final payment, this is a great way for passengers to pay down the balance and not be stuck with a very large balance due, all at the same time.

Sandy
We love to put our cruise on "lay away". As I get a few extra jobs the money goes to the cruise, or we can take alittle out of the normal monthly budget. You have nothing to lose (except a little to the TA), you can still get it all back. If we get our paid off in ime we often upgrade our room if we can. We prepay excursions, and buy enough "Fun Bucks" to cover on board stuff. All we have to pay for at cruise time, is the hotel, and gas to LA or San Diego.

I know our TA phones it in at the time, and gets a fax from the cruise line to show our payment.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Maybe I should start sending in monthly payments for that $5000 inside cabin on the Oasis. Let's see, that was in June 2010, so minus the deposit and looking at the final due date that means 19 monthly payments of $224.

Closed Thread

Tags
agent, agents, cruise, deposit, normal, provide, quote, time, travel, typical