Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

I forgot to mention the midrats! Yeah man, that was a welcome thing for us too. We had a fairly loose policy about it when we were back home in Norfolk. They'd serve anyone who showed up - in uniform or civvies, it didn't matter. After a night of "steaming" it was a good thing to get some chow in us before hitting the rack.

Underway on a carrier, and with flight ops going 24/7, we had a fairly lengthy midrats with a variety of stuff. Midrats was lunch time for some of the airwing people. It was breakfast foods, sliders, leftovers from dinner, perhaps fried shrimp and french fries....sort of like a buffet. But you had to have a pass for it when we were underway. We always managed to have enough passes.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:47 PM
My brother told me a story of a person that had Christmas dinner at several of the finest hotels in the world, and in the crew mess aboard the USS Enterprise. Anybody care to guess which meal the gentleman preferred?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 AM
Banned

I've read all of the posts on this thread. One thing that I just can't get out of my mind is, if pacalici is so unhappy at his job, is his attitude towards his employer going to effect my health on a cruise ship? I.E., unwashed hands, unsanitary conditions? These are the small things that disturb me.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Underway on a carrier, and with flight ops going 24/7
Dave what carrier were you on?

A;ndrea, I would not worry about it. I think this guy is way off base. I think if things were this bad he would not be there, nor would any other worker.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I served on three naval vessels. The USS Southerland (DD743) before I went to nuclear power school; USS Texas (CGN39); and finally the USS Nimitz (CVN68). Only the Nimitz survives.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 AM

You Navy guys were kind enough to give me and a few other Marines aride home from Nam in March of 70. Road home on the USS Oriskany (CV/CVA-34), I think she has reef duty now!.
Nephew is flying super hornets (land duty for now), and a stepson is on the Stennis.
Thanks

Old 01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by gdjoslin:
You Navy guys were kind enough to give me and a few other Marines aride home from Nam in March of 70. Road home on the USS Oriskany (CV/CVA-34), I think she has reef duty now!.
Nephew is flying super hornets (land duty for now), and a stepson is on the Stennis.
Thanks
Actually I am a former Marine too. 4 years in the Corps, then 6 years in the Navy.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 AM
I think the original post is a case of a "few in every crowd". Carnival employs over 30,000 people worldwide in all the brands they own. My daughter works for Carnival Fun Ships and has for 5 years, contracts about 8 mo long. She has it better than many as she is a dancer and thus staff and gets to go on deck, (properly dressed and identified etc. etc.) and some of the things that happen she complains about. But all in all it is good work, even for the cooks and the wait staff. Hard and long hours, 24/7 on call for most of it. Food is OK in the staff mess and probably the same for regular crew but is repetitive, "if it's meatloaf it must be Tuesday". Carnival is not without compassion but they are also running a business, and a big one. If there were not people standing in line to be hired they would have to pay more and charge more. But is it a simple fact that even as a dancer my daughter was one of a very few in an audition of nearly 200 that were accepted to be on the LIST. And only some of those actually get called to join the company. Like any big company there are things that are not good. For example while under contract she is entitled to the Doctor on the ship and for other medical care on shore. However the ship picks the doctor, want a Mexican dentist? or gynecologist in Panama? She doesn't, to many bad report of misdiagnosis, and she is required for a full physical which the company does not pay for, almost a neat $1000 of med bills last time. However, she can go back to Manhattan and pay $1000/mo for a third of a small dirty apartment and be a waitress part time and do small shows, or choose to do fantastic shows and sign a contract with Carnival and cruise the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. She like the works and it is not nearly as bad as this disgruntled employee is. When we cruise she is given as much time as possible to be with us, even in the main dining room, where we get to impress her friends by being large tippers. Emergencies do happen and she has to rehearse or do safety drill but mostly the ship allows her extra time for her family. It's a good life and selected by those that work there.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 AM

Well then Semper Fi! Dave. However watch you wording, once a Marine always....

Old 01-31-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by gdjoslin:
Well then Semper Fi! Dave. However watch you wording, once a Marine always....
?? Former Marine is proper. Ex-Marine is not.

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, crew, cruise, cruiser, dream, fantasia, line, mess, month, msc, names, rules, sinfonia, team, thinks, wwwschedule