Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Shore Excursion Cancellation Policy (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/9263-shore-excursion-cancellation-policy.html)

Old Traveler 02-21-2008 01:36 PM

Does anyone know if CCL refunds pre-paid Shore Excursion cost if you have to cancel due to illness while on-board ship.

penny3333 02-21-2008 01:46 PM

Hi Old Traveler, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I believe the policy is you need to cancel 24 hours in advance of the tour for a refund. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I did have to cancel an excursion due to illness once, but didn't do it in time, so I lost my money. If I'm incorrect on the amount of time, I hope someone else will know and post. Best wishes for a wonderful cruise and once again, welcome aboard!

Berick1234 02-21-2008 02:33 PM

Most of the time it's a 24-hour policy to cancel...I don't think sickness will get you your money back...there would be lots of people getting sick at the last minute just to get out of the excursion....Wash your hands a lot, use the sanitizers and eat lots of fruit:-)...oh, and have a Great Cruise...

Bob E

Larry in Miami 02-21-2008 02:57 PM

I think they still charge a percentage of the total cost even if you cancel more than 24 hours before. Not 100% on that but I remember hearing that somewhere.

Dwayne 02-21-2008 11:50 PM

Hi Old Traveler, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

Yes, as everyone said it is a 24 hour window. The 24 hours is back from the arrival at the port of the excursion. The cancellation is subject to a 25% charge.

They do have some lee way with this however. If this should happen, go to the info. desk and nicely ask one of the Pursers and explain. A nice request goes a long way when they have some discretion.

Since the question is about a pre-paid excursion once on board. They will not refund the credit card used for the purchase, instead they will credit the on board account. If the credit is not used by the end of the cruise, they will refund the money with a check on the morning of debarkation.

I hope you don't get sick!

Dwayne

Old Traveler 02-22-2008 05:57 AM

Just a quick note to say thanks to all who responsed to my query. No one ever plans on getting sick, but things do happen and we just wanted to know how much of a financial commitment we were making should it happen.

Mike52 02-22-2008 04:19 PM

I got sick with a virus the night before an excursion on splendor of the seas back in Dec 2006 and they refunded my whole amount.
Mike

Dwayne 02-22-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Old Traveler:
Just a quick note to say thanks to all who responsed to my query. No one ever plans on getting sick, but things do happen and we just wanted to know how much of a financial commitment we were making should it happen.
You don't have to buy them ahead of time. I have bought many shore excursion tickets the night before. The vast majority of excursions do not sell out. Unless you are considering a specialty excursion with limited space.

Dwayne

Dave 02-23-2008 07:01 AM

Quote:

The vast majority of excursions do not sell out. Unless you are considering a specialty excursion with limited space.
Very true. Although we usually book tours before the cruise even starts, it is important to realize that most of the shipboard announcements to "book your tours now or they'll be sold out!" is mostly sales hype.