Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Please note that oil prices are not live-time. In other words if the price dropped below $90 yesterday it doesn't mean the fuel prices have to immediately drop as a result. That $90 oil hasn't even left the oil field yet and the fuel prices the cruise line paid for X weeks of fuel in the future were based on the $99 oil.

There is an analogy I heard a while back using a store which sells cans of beans. I think it was like this: Say I sell beans for $1 a can and I buy them from the supplier for 30 cents a can. That 70 cents I make on each can has to pay my store bills, my employee salaries, my replenishment cost for more beans, and finally whatever left is my profit. All is well and static, but then the supplier tells me that he has to raise his wholesale price to 50 cents per can starting in 30 days. If I don't immediately raise my price to account for the future price increase, I won't be able to stay in business for long - even though my price increase is on beans that I bought for 30 cents a can. If I don't raise the price now, I won't be able to afford to buy beans in the future and still pay my obligations to the staff, my operating costs, etc.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 AM
Beans......Gas.....hmmmmm interesting. LOL

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

I just returned from a 4 day cruise on the Imagination.While aboard I went to the pursers desk and asked the girl on duty if Carnival would return the $5.00 per day fuel sucharge if fuel prices continued to drop.She said I don't know let me get the person in charge. She comes back with her boss and the lady said of course they are not going to refund the extra money.She said thet carnival had not had a rate increase in 5-6 years and this was thier way of getting that increase.That is really a crappy way to get an increase. just say after such and such a day the rates will go up X amounts of dollars..But to rasiet the fares on tickets bought and paid for a year ago stinks.... I will think twice about my loyalty to carnival. As I told the purser If I had know about this deal amonth ago I would not be standing in front of you now. I could have taken RCL or one of the others.As I said before it is the principal, if I could not afford the $5.00 per day I would not be cruising at all. CARNIVAL when you need a rate increase tell me up front in the future PLEASE!!!Tom Stanton Sr..
Old 12-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Tom,

They are all doing it. It isn't exclusive to Carnival. But I have to say that the lack of tact exhibited by many members of the purser's staffs of all cruise lines disappoints me. Her answer to you could have been better phrased.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

I have found the purser's staff actually to be ignorant on corporate policies. To complain to the purser's desk about something corporate has done is preaching to the choir. I don't believe for one minute Carnival wanted to raise prices and that was the only way they could get the money. Be real! What are the cruise lines to do? Do you really think they are going to adjust your cruise rate up and down with the daily price of oil? What an accounting night mare. The oil prices have been volatile for years. Up down, up down, up down. Let's just be happy that cruising is still a great value. Hotel prices are increasing at a far higher percentage rate that cruises.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM

I have found the same thing about the pursers on a few occasions. They didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I don't think they are aware of everything.

I know the bartenders don't have a clue about news sometimes. I jokingly told our bartender (Valor) on the Holiday in 2001 that he did such a great job I was going to recommend they name a ship after him. He said that would be the day! Of course I knew that it was already planned. I got an email 3 weeks later from him. He was so excited! And joking with me too that it came true!!

I would not want a Purser's job for sure with what they deal with. But that is not an excuse for being tactless in doing their jobs.

Dwayne
Old 12-04-2007, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thomas stanton:
I just returned from a 4 day cruise on the Imagination.While aboard I went to the pursers desk and asked the girl on duty if Carnival would return the $5.00 per day fuel sucharge if fuel prices continued to drop.She said I don't know let me get the person in charge. She comes back with her boss and the lady said of course they are not going to refund the extra money.She said thet carnival had not had a rate increase in 5-6 years and this was thier way of getting that increase.That is really a crappy way to get an increase. just say after such and such a day the rates will go up X amounts of dollars..But to rasiet the fares on tickets bought and paid for a year ago stinks.... I will think twice about my loyalty to carnival. As I told the purser If I had know about this deal amonth ago I would not be standing in front of you now. I could have taken RCL or one of the others.As I said before it is the principal, if I could not afford the $5.00 per day I would not be cruising at all. CARNIVAL when you need a rate increase tell me up front in the future PLEASE!!!Tom Stanton Sr..

Well there you go...
I Knew it from the beginning
Carnival will not refound my money, even if the prices goes down
WHAT A SHOCK!!!
Like I said before
Once they make a change in their prices is like written on a stone, will never change it back...

It's true that every cruise line have been making changes on their prices but as for my case Carnival Destiny don't visit port's I will like to go , like Aruba, because the gas prices are so high
I think because they just charge me the gas price next summer is Aruba BABY!!!
YEAH IN MY DREAMS!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM

My complaint is that I have 58 clients sailing on Feb. 10th with Costa and all final payments were in and posted. Now I had to go back to them and tell them I needed more money. I would think that if a cruise was already paid in full that they would not expect me to do this but they did. Why don't they just add it to your onboard account like they do the tips? I know it would have made my job easier and most folks would have been ok with that. Now I have to do a ton of paperwork to get the $5.00 a day fee. Oh well, I have now vented and feel better.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-05-2007, 06:26 AM
Banned

TRAVELGAL I agree if the cruise was paid in full there should be no extra charges.Now oil prices have dropped to thier lowest levels in some time. It was 88.00 a barrel yesterday, down almost 12.00 a barrel from a few weeks ago.Is CCL AND THE OTHERS GOING TO REFUND THE5.00 PER DAY FUEL CHARGE? I doubt it very much..
Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 AM
well Thomas i got the answer to your question:

"Is CCL AND THE OTHERS GOING TO REFUND THE 5.00 PER DAY FUEL CHARGE?"

That's a Big

NO WAY JOSE!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
advance, carnival, celebrity, charge, charging, cruise, cruises, extra, fuel, gas, high, oil, payment, price, prices, raise, surcharge