Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Banned

As I said before it was the principal of the thing. Now I am really hot because they give some thier money back and not others. if they are going to give some who paid before Nov. 07 thier money back they should do it for all, that is all i'm trying to say. Tom
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

The only reason they are not doing it in Canada is because Canadian law says they can't charge it. It isn't a fairness thing, it is a legality thing. And primarily it is a business thing. One can sit around ranting about this all day, but you aren't going to change things. Businesses do evaluate whether a customer is worth the trouble of retaining if the customer becomes too much of a nuisance - regardless of how legitimate the customer may feel their complaint is.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 AM

I wish my cable bill, electric and natural gas, would quit raising rates. I wish my real estate taxes would quit increasing every year because they say my house appreciates, but yet every day I hear how housing is down. I wish milk was still less than $2 a gallon. I really wish I could still get that dozen eggs for 59 cent's a dozen instead of the $1.75 I saw the other day! But life goes on. Get over it! It doesn't do any good to carry chips on your shoulder. It only causes stress on your heart and ruins your health. Be thankful you have your health! Be thankful for the things in your life that you have. Be thankful you can even afford to go on a cruise while others can't afford food and heat. I am sure we all can look back at the events that have happened in our lives this year, and be thankful that we are still here in a free country. We are embarking on a most joyous time of the year when everyone should be happy and upbeat.
Happy Holidays to all. Happy cruising. I'm off on the Adventure of the Seas Sunday.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Great post Cruise Fanatic, exactly what I was trying to say. I'm still alive and hope to remain that way at least until my next 3 cruises are completed. I am so very thankful for every minute and a fuel surcharge is not going to put a damper on that. Hope you have an "Adventurous" cruise.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM

I also loved your post Cruise Fanatic. I think it's time to get over it and move on. It's been a extra expense on many and extra work for others, that's life. There are far greater concerns out there in todays world than a small fuel sur-charge. If we wrote letters on the issues that really matter in our lives the way some of us do on the trivial issues we might get some action on things that really affect us. I won't get political and list them but I'll bet you can come up with a list of your own.

Cruise Fanatic, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-07-2007, 12:55 PM

If they want to raise prices because of fuel, then just raise them! It's not like oil is going to go down. They only charged it as a surcharge, so they could get away with charging people after they had already paid in full for cruises. It's not like they are Fed-ex or UPS. They are charging a flat fee up to so many days. If it was legit, they would charge XX amount a day, no matter the length of cruise.

That is what upsets me. Call it what it is and I wouldn't have an issue.

Inspiration - 5/13/2005
Miracle - 4/2/2006
Miracle - 12/31/2006
Grand Princess - 1/18/2008

Legend - 11/18/2008

Miracle - 12/31/2006
Old 12-07-2007, 01:00 PM
ok so canadians will not have to pay if they are embarking in Canada wright??
this is something fishy I mean;
When you book in canada you are under the jurisdiction of canada, but once you enter USA you are under the jurisdiction of the USA law so if your embarking port is on usa they can still charge you during embarking and Canada cannot do anything because of it.

See is this way
you can eat a cow in almost any place you go but if you kill a Cow on Indian it will still be ilegal so is not important you travel from USA you will still have to pay the consecuences so maybe is just for people embarking on Canada if you go out from USA well can someone explain me??

I don't understand what you are saying...
Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator

It doesn't matter where the cruise originates. It matters where the booking was sold, because the law (in this case the Canadian laws) covers the point of sale and the product or service sold - in other words the booking itself and the not the cruise itself. You could book a cruise, pay for it, and then never take it. That is how the law is applied.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:13 PM
thanks for the answer Dave
I was a little lost with it
Old 12-07-2007, 01:16 PM

CF, it has nothing to do with the embark location. It has to do with where the agency you do business with is located. Canadian citizens who book with an American agency are not immune. Only the transactions that were done through a Canadian business which are regulated by Canadian law. They can regulate commerce in their own country only on Canadian companies. It has nothing to do with citizenship but where the agency is located and the laws of the land in that country. An American who happened to book a cruise through a Canadian agency will also be exempt from the fee (if the post that said this is the case is accurate, I have no knowledge of it other than this thread).

Cheers, Neil

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
advance, carnival, celebrity, charge, charging, cruise, cruises, extra, fuel, gas, high, oil, payment, price, prices, raise, surcharge