Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 AM

On a recent cruise to Canada I began feeling a little unsettled on the next to the last night on the cruise. I decided to take a Dramamine as it said non drowsy. We'll don't believe it. I felt worse after taking it because I felt that I had been drugged. I ended up having to cut short my evening of fun and go to bed. I think the queasiness would have passed on its own.

Apparently my body reacts differently than expected. I have been on three cruises and never medicated before and I will never again.
Happy sailing,
kate
Old 09-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear of this, frodosmom.

I used to swear by Dramamine until I cruised while in my first trimester of pregnancy (13 years ago). We were on a small cruise ship in rough waters, and I was ready to tough it out. But our waiter suggested a green apple, and it worked wonderfully for me. And, there were none of the side effects that I'd experienced with Dramamine.

Just a couple of weeks ago, we were on a cruise to Bermuda, again hit rough waters, and I went immediately for the green apples. Worked again.

I hope your next cruise goes better. And, thank you for posting your experience.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:38 PM

No don't take Bonnine, or least don't take it on an empty stomach once you are seasick because it made me feel worse. It was Lobster night so I just had to get better, I never did until a friend at my table told me to eat some of the bread and then take the Draminine and it worked within 15 minutes I was feeling much better.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-04-2006, 05:57 PM

My seasickness did pass shortly after taking the dramamine but then the fatigue set in. I think I would have preferred the seasickness, if that's what it really was.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 PM

A non-medical solution is to take Ginger capsules. This is an old-timer's cure from back many centuries, and is available in most health-food stores, not expensive at all. And, it also aids in digesiton. Try it next time.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Taking Ginger in pill form works more naturally than any other remedy although green apples can be equally effective for seasickness. Ginger is an ancient sailors remedy and well known among Asian sailors.

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Banned

It is a good idea to experiment with any anti-nausea meds you are planning to use...just to see how you personally react. Everyone is different.

I take one Bonine every morning (with the wonderful coffee and bagels delivered to my room at my appointed time by those marvelous folks from the kitchen) and I have never had a problem.

4 more weeks...I can't stand to wait!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:50 PM

LHP- Outstanding advice. Why mess up a vacation day. Take some before your cruise to see how you react. It is obvious from these posts that different people have different reactions. I suggest trying it for more than one day. Some reactins may take a couple of days of constant use to surface. Its worth the extra money to find out before you go.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 AM

LHP,
I want to echo Jim's post also. This is the best advice I have seen about it.

I am still looking for some combination I can take on Sea days that I can still have a few beers with. I don't normally get "the feeling" unless rough seas.

So far a half Meclizine in the morning has been working for prevention. And I can have my Lido Beers without much problem. But if and rarely rough sets in I double up on both

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, dramamine, effects, empty, long, pregnant, prior, reviews, ship, side, stomach, taking, trimester, weeks