Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 11:05 PM
I was trying to find information on the different classification of ships, but I couldn't find anything on Carnival.com. I was just wanting to educate myself on what ships belong to what class. I could look up the info individually, but I was trying to find the lazy way out.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Here is what I have.

Holiday Class
Holiday
Celebration
Jubilee

Fantasy Class
Fantasy
Ecstasy
Fascination
Imagination
Inspiration
Paradise
Elation
Sensation.

Destiny Class
Destiny
Triumph
Victory.

Conquest Class
Conquest
Glory
Valor
Liberty
Freedom.

Spirit Class
Spirit
Legend
Pride
Miracle
YouTube Channel: VideoOnTheWeb
-------------------------------------------
Upcoming:
Ecstasy September 12, 2014
Conquest November 16, 2014
Ecstasy January 23, 2015

Past Cruises:
43 and Counting......
Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 AM
Administrator

That is a correct list, but the Jubilee is no longer in the Carnival fleet. It is sailing out of Australia for P&O Australia, along with another old Carnival ship - the Tropicale. Jubilee is now the Pacific Sun and Tropicale is now the Pacific Star. It is nice to see this great old ships have new lives.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Hi Dave,

actually, "Pacific Star" has been sold to Pullmantur Cruises of Spain (RCL affiliate - so Carnival sold the ship's to its main competitor) and only continues to be operated by P&O Cruises Australia for a couple of months before becoming Pullmantur's "Ocean Dream".

And what's even more interesting IMHO is that the current "Celebration" will be transferred to Carnival new Spanish joint-venture with Iberojet next spring, being renamed "Grand Celebration" - and being direct competition to former fleetmate "Ocean Dream" with both ships operating out of Barcelona!

Raoul Fiebig

Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the update. I now remember your posting something about the Celebration a few weeks ago.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Oh thanks for your help. Now if my stupid questions can continue... why the different classes? Is one class better than the other?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM

There are no stupid questions.

Well, actually I have seen a few, but that isn't one.

The classes of ships have to do with them being of the same design and size. The older ships like the Holiday Class are alot smaller than the new ships. They don't have all the amenities the newer classes of ships have.

It is really a personal choice between the smaller and the more modern. I would have no problem sailing on the Holiday at all as an example, I like the ship. I have friends that started off sailing on the Glory and would probably shake their heads if they boarded her.

Bigger is not always better regarding ships. I prefer the Spirit Class ships over the Conquest Class. They are smaller in size, yet the layout is so much better in my opinion.

The Fantasy Class ships are another favorite because they are so easy to navigate and familiar. They are currently undergoing a 250 million dollar renovation.

Sometimes if one starts out on a big bell and whistle ship, they may feel let down going on a smaller ship. I can't say one is better than another, I love them all. My first cruise was on Carnival's second ship the TSS Carnivale at a tonnage of 27,000. So they have all been newer and bigger since. I would not hesitate to cruise on any of them.

Just my humble opinion,

Dwayne
Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 AM

My first two cruises were on the Conquest, I thought that perhaps I was in for a disappointment with the smaller ships. I've been on the Sensation, Inspiration, Holiday and Celebration since, and had just as much of a good time.

Actually I think Holiday is probably right up there with Conquest, the crew that I interacted with all had a great attitude. Our Head Waiter on the Inspiration last year came from the Conquest, he said it has everything to do with the senior staff, if they are easygoing, then the crew generally follows suit and the ship becomes a big family, and guests pick up on the good vibrations and most everyone has a good time.

We just booked our second cruise for the Inspiration, my daughter and niece are looking foward to that monster twisty-slide (I might have a go at it as well).

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Sometimes smaller is better....If you don't use many of the amenities in the Giant ships...they are a waste....I like the cruising part, relaxing, and the food of course....The days of rock climbing walls and roller blading tracks are over...sorry to say....but I still do an occasional marathon...smaller ships are a little more personal...but sometimes clunky...but heck a day paddeling a canoe in Northen Minnesota is still enjoyable...Happy sailing on any ship...

Bob E
Old 12-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Our Head Waiter on the Inspiration last year came from the Conquest, he said it has everything to do with the senior staff, if they are easygoing, then the crew generally follows suit and the ship becomes a big family, and guests pick up on the good vibrations and most everyone has a good time.
Very true. I think a big reason we had such a good time on the Liberty Of The Seas last June was because the Captain was so gregarious and it permeated the whole ship. He'd walk around all the time greeting crew, shaking passengers hands, etc. On the other hand when the Captain is stuffy and officious it has a negative effect. I remember one Captain on a HAL cruise who was very icy towards the crew. His relief happened to be aboard and the crew knew and liked the new guy, and more than one told me they couldn't wait for the change-of-command to happen.

Closed Thread

Tags
clasiffication, classification, compare, cruise, dream, jubilee, line, ocean, renames, ship, ships