Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2006, 08:50 PM

I thought I read somewhere on another thread that this ship was going in for repairs and upgrades in Feb 06. I was curious if anyone has sailed this ship since it was redone and if so, how was it??? What can you tell me about this ship? My husband and I will be sailing with 2 small children 5/7...........are there plenty of things for them to do? Did you find things to do at port?
I read there was a waterslide on this ship, however, it released you on a deck??? I'm a little confused. Any help on this is appreciated. Also, are there mini refridgerators on this ship??? Pros and cons of ship???
Thanks so much for any and all help. We are so excited about this cruise. My girls are on a countdown. Only one more week, wahoo!!!!!

So. Cal Mom
Old 03-17-2006, 02:33 PM

Hi So.CalMom
We just returned from the Spirit (March8-16).
Ship is in great condition, very clean. Staff were fantastic. Food in dining room was great! We had a suite on deck 6 and had no complaints. Our "big" problem was the wall safe was malfunctioning and it was a frustrating experience to lock/unlock it.
I have a grat tip for you... Tell your room steward to remove the sandpaper they call toilet paper and replace it with Georgia-pacific "Preference", not the "envision" they put in the room. They do have both. Your bottom will thank you for it LOL. Sadly the waterslide doesn't work. It seems to be forever in repairs. No mini fridges, just mini bars fully stocked, so no room for your stuff. We traveled with 3 kids and they didn't spend much time in the kids camp, but I understand it's a great way for them to make friends. All the ports were great! We did the dolphin swim in Ixtapa, well worth the $$$. Went to Karmina Palace for the day in Manzanillo to use thier facilities. You can take a taxi there for $12.00 e/w and pay the hotel directly. You need to get there as early as possible to get a deck chair. Did a city tour of Acupulco via taxi, saw the cliff divers. If you can afford it, there is a restaurant right on the cliff overloking the show. Great place to view the divers in the evening. Stay away from the outdoor market in Acupulco... This is not a nice place. Save your $$ and bartering skills for Ixtapa/z. Any other questions, feel free to ask. Oh, and do your on-board shopping on the last night of the cruise, they are selling off all of the Mexico stuff in prep. for the Alaska run! Everything to do with Mexico was 50% off the last night.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:59 PM

Thank you for responding. I am glad to hear your trip went well with the exception of the safe.........darn thing. I will take your advice on the toilet paper and ask for the upgraded version. That's too funny!! I am totally bummed the waterslide isn't working, my kids were looking forward to that, and the last cruise we took, they were too short. Such as life. Thanks for all the info on the ports. I really need to do all my research and figure out what to do at each. I think my husband and I read that children had to be 8 years to do the dolphin swim..........I'll investigate further. I haven't really read there is much to do in Acapulco, so the diver show/dinner might be a nice option. And what exactly is Karmina's palace? Is it a resort and is there stuff for little ones to do there? I would like to spend the day at a nice resort at one of the ports, just not sure where yet. How old are your children? Out of curiousity why didn't they stay at camp Carnival very often........I know it isn't for everyone. Well, again, thank you for all your help, I am glad to hear from someone who recently sailed the same cruise we will be taking. Oh yeah, one more question, sorry, how was the weather?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:43 AM

Hello again,

Karmina palace is a 5 star resort, huge waterpark. Entrance cost includes access to all amenities, drinks, and food. The water park has several pools all of different depths -- kids pool etc. There is a waterslide there, but it ends in 5' deep water and is very fast. Our 8 y.o. had no trouble though.
Our kids are 8, 12, and 14. Our 8 yo daughter did not like the camp, as there there were several kids that already were friends, so it was hard to join the group. The boys did enjoy themselves in the camp, but because of their ages they were able to have the run of the ship without parents... they prefered that.
It was hot and sunny in all of the mexican ports, but the first and last "sea days" were downright cool -- too cool to sit at the pool!
Re the waterslide... it doesn't end in water, it ends on the deck. On the other site www.cruisecritic.com people have suggested there is some kind litigation going on with regard to the slide, and that is why it is not open. We couldn't see why it wasn't operating.
Can't say enough about the ship's staff...especially the waiters -- they pampered our kids every night. Little things like remembering their names, treating them with the same respect as adults, bringing them as many desserts are they wanted, remmembering they like hot chocolate, etc.
I think our favorite port was Ixtapa, very beautiful there. Manzanillo is a industrial port, and you will need to leave that area to sightsee. There is no shops, beaches etc by the ship.
If you have any other questions, let me know...and have a great trip, your little ones will love it.

Closed Thread

Tags
board, carnival, cruise, departing, diego, early, leave, redo, san, solo, spirit, sprit