Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I enjoyed reading this thread. As a newspaper reporter, I always bristle when I hear everyone blaming everything on "THE MEDIA" but I have to say, as everyone else did, all I heard was positive things in articles and on TV from passengers who praised John Heald and the crew. Sounds like Carnival really stepped up with the compensation for the passengers; I think it was a smart PR move to do it BEFORE people went ballistic and clamored for it. Love Carnival, can't wait to sail them again...

Booked on NCL Breakaway, Feb. 2014
Carnival Conquest, Feb. 2012
NCL Gem, Sept. 2011
NCL Jewel, Feb. 2011
NCL Dawn, Sept. 2010
NCL Spirit, Feb. 2010
NCL Gem, March 2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Feb. 2008
Carnival Miracle, May 2007
Carnival Conquest, April 2006
Caribbean Princess, Feb. 2005
Old 11-27-2010, 05:57 AM

most business and I am sure Carnival does too, has a catastropic clause in there insurance policy.
when Eastern N C was hit by horrible flooding my hubby was out of work for 9 weeks because the company he works for was under water and then down for repairs. He never missed a paycheck because of the insurance coverage.
Carnival is the great cruise line they are because they take care of their employees which in turn takes great care of the guest.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Seems that the ship will be back sooner than they thought? I thought it was out til feb. but I see you can book for jan 2011

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
Barbara Dillon sounds like the kind of person I'd love to have on any cruise I take! What a great upbeat attitude!
Hi Dave,
I guess I have been described as seeing life as a glass-full perspective. It was such a great experience! I realize not for Carnival but I really appreciate everything that everyone did for us. And you know what - with a good attitude you can have a great adventure!
Barbara Dillon
Old 12-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwayne:
I read the Spam was not served to the crew either from someone on the ship. I can see why the repairs would take longer than what one would normally expect as they need to fix what caused this. It doesn't seem normal for a single generator out of six to shut down a ship. I can imagine lots of re-wiring to be done. I am amazed they got the EVAC toilet system working. They sure did an awesome job with this given what they were facing. I also give Kudos to Carnival for going a step above what is typical in compensation for such an event.
Hi Dwayne,
I don't know what the big deal about SPAM was. We did not receive any (the guests) and if we had I would have appreciated it! After all - in this situation any food is good. Carnival,and everyone else involved was great!
Wish more of the good press showed instead of the negative.
Barbara Dillon
Old 12-11-2010, 08:04 PM

I wish the press would show more positive commentary too. They wanted to exaggerate the situation and focus on the negative as usual. They actually were having a hard time finding people to speak ill of Carnival. I would have been happy with Spam as well. It's better than Treet and I lived on it for nearly 2 weeks once without a Sara Lee croissant. The press was trying to make a big comparison between luxury food and Spam is all I can figure.

I do feel bad for the people who had their vacation plans ruined. Especially first time cruisers with hopes dashed of seeing the port of calls for the first time. I do believe Carnival did everything right by them though for this unfortunate situation. Ship happens, it's part of the adventure.

I also want to thank you for your first hand account of this.

Dwayne
Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 PM

It was fun! I really meant it!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Life is not always what we expect - and believe me this cruise was very unexpected - fun and an adventure!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I just wrote a blog update about the Splendor fire for CruiseMates. Disturbing reports have been released by the Coast Guard. You can read it here.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I just wrote a blog update about the Splendor fire for CruiseMates. Disturbing reports have been released by the Coast Guard. You can read it here.
Hi Dave, that was a good article. I think Costa Cruise lines should take a very close look at the Concordia Class Ships.

In 1969, the Canadian Navy suffered its worst peace time accident on the destroyer HMCS Kootany. A gearbox exploded in the engine room, and 9 sailors were KIA. 2 tragic lessons were learned.

1. Never use aluminum for escape ladders
2. Each compartment must have 2 exits

When the Captain submitted his report, he had nothing but praise for the crew stating that "any lesser crew would have ended the day in life rafts".

Closed Thread

Tags
barbara, blog, carnival, cruise, deer, dillon, fire, hit, insurance, nashville, photography, review, smugmug, splendor, travel