Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/)
-   -   Carnival Splendor engine room fire (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/carnival-cruise-line/9773-carnival-splendor-engine-room-fire.html)

Jim C. 11-08-2010 02:11 PM

Well since no one else posted it here I might as well do it. Carnival and the news outlets are reporting (CBS news report) that the Splendor had a fire in its aft engine room. No one was hurt and the fire is out but it seems that as of last report their were on emergency power and trying to restart a generator. It looks as if it is bad enough that they are going to go back to port since they had just left. Coast guard is in route.

MCPayne 11-08-2010 03:27 PM

Jim

Can you double check that link? When I click it, it's just a blank page stating "bad request." Glad to hear that everyone's okay. I wonder what's going to happen to the passengers? Seeing as how they just left, I would hope that they get a full refund if they have to cancel the cruise.

macmom111 11-08-2010 03:59 PM

glad no one was hurt. Fire would concern me more then a sinking but I do think that the people on the ship were kept very safe. The sight of other cruise ships in the area are alot of comfort during a crisis

Dave 11-08-2010 04:18 PM

As a former sailor I can guarantee that the worst fear we had was a fire while at sea. It can definitely ruin your day if your house burns down and all you have around you is several thousand feet of ocean.

The Splendor fire is out and things are well in control. No doubt the lawyers are pushing each other out of the way at the port entrance.

LisaP 11-08-2010 04:42 PM

Here's a link directly from Carnival. The trip has indeed been canceled; it's now a matter of returning passengers to a port. I don't know if future updates will be posted under the same link, so check their general news area here for the latest.

Dwayne 11-08-2010 06:25 PM

Have been waiting for updates to see if the ship regained it's own propulsion. The link Lisa posted was the last I've heard.

I've heard some folks think that ship has a curse. Now I don't believe in such things, but it sure has had more than it's share of things happening. You know it wasn't originally planned to be a Carnival ship.

Dwayne 11-08-2010 07:03 PM

They have updated the news link. They have not been able to restore full power and tug boats are en route.

Excerpt:

Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service, flushing toilets and telephones are not available. The ship’s crew is actively working to restore partial services.

LHP 11-09-2010 07:27 AM

I am no mechanical engineer so if I am reading this wrong...please correct me.

It sounds like they had power to "crawl" the ship OR provide "services" but not both....

so they opted to provide the services and let the tugs do the "crawling".....

as long as services are being provided (even limited ones)...I would have no problem being on a "slow boat to anywhere"....

Candice R 11-09-2010 08:37 AM

Just read article via CNN..Read that Navy DROPPED some goods on ship. Must admit Carnival is doing GREAT job regarding safety, remembursement and (I believe)missed flights??, etc.I read they are not charging people for this cruise and then giving passangers another cruise (exact $$ they spent on this cruise) From what I read they are doing everything right (in my eyes)when it comes to keeping everyone on board safe.

penny3333 11-09-2010 08:37 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. I'm with you LHP, even if I go nowhere, as long as some of the things work on board, I'm happy. I'm sure the crew is not, though. I can only imagine the complaining they're listening too and can do nothing about.

I can also see those plotting for a law suit and a free cruise.