Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Carnival Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 03:38 PM

I just got word from my travel agent today that the Progreso port which was one of the stops on the honeymoon cruise my fiancee and I planned for August has been canceled. Apparently Carnival says that people wanted to stay longer in Cozumel so to keep their customers happy they would extend the stays in Cozumel beginning this week and eliminate Progreso. Now I know that cruise lines have the right to change the itinerary - but does their reason sound a little fishy to anyone else? I was looking forward to Progreso as I wanted to visit the ruins, but I will adjust. It just seems that Carnival may not be being really honest about why the change. Anyone know anything more or am I just being paranoid?
John
Old 06-21-2005, 04:20 PM

Hmmm, I haven't heard a thing. Progreso is great for the ruins, but then if you have a longer stay i nCozumel, you can also get to the ruins on the mainland.

Tom
Old 06-21-2005, 05:57 PM

We took the Carnival Glory on that itinery and to be honest Progresso was ugly and there was not much there. It showed the how the natives lived but other than that it just wasn't much. I wish OUR trip had had longer in Cozumel!!! There are so many great excursions from that port. Don't worry you'll be happy with staying longer once you get there.
Naviagator of the Seas Mar 07
Sovereign of Seas Oct 06
Carnival Glory March 2005
Nordic Empress 1996
Old 06-22-2005, 06:05 AM

Who Me,
Interestingly I have clients who are going to be on the Glory and had to inform them of the schedule change. I thought it was interesting also, but from all I have heard - Progreso is such an unpopular port stop - they made a decision that is in the best interest of the passengers.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 AM

I am in total agreement with Cyndi - I did not like Progreso at all!
Old 06-25-2005, 06:06 AM

I wish they had cancelled the Progresso stop a few months earlier! The ONLY reasons for a cruise stop at Progresso are related to Mexican politics and a desire to extract a few more dollars from cruise passengers. There has never been a place more accurately described as a "tourist trap."

If you really want to visit the ruins, you can do so from Playa or Cozumel. Consider yourself lucky that they made the change!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:59 PM

I am also one that wishes Progresso was cancelled a few months ago. I went on Glory in May and Progresso sucked. The ruins are nothing great.

I wish we had more time in Cozumel.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:47 AM

Okay, based on the responses I guess the reasons for the change appear to be valid. I hate to admit that my fiancee was right - she insisted I was being paranoid.

Thanks for the feedback.
John
Old 07-05-2005, 10:55 AM

I've sailed on the "Glory" and the main reason for the stop at progresso is to visit Chichen Itza. The ruins there are spectacular and it is well worth the trip. It's much more spectacular than Tulum. However since only about 300 people per cruise take this excursion, that leaves 2500 at the end of a 4 mile long pier with nothing to do except visit a few tacky gift shops. (actually there are other excursions too.) I am planning a large group trip on the Glory Dec. 3. This is with Battlestar Galactica's Richard Hatch. Carnival's cancellation came as a big shock to us since the Chichen Itza trip was promoted as the highlite of our trip. They still have no explanation for the cancellation.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:14 PM

You mean I might have the chance to meet one of my childhood idols on this cruise? Man it just keeps getting better, can't wait, this will be our second cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
2005, carnival, cruise, fishing, glory, lines, merida, port, progreso, progresso, review, ships, stop, stopping, stops, sucks