Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/celebrity-cruises/)
-   -   Passport Card (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/celebrity-cruises/1208-passport-card.html)

Cruiser09 05-14-2009 06:43 AM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has recently traveled or know someone that recently traveled with the passport card.
My family and I are taking a Western Carribean cruise with stops in Ochos Rios Jamaica, and Georgetown, Grand Cayman on the Celebrity Century in December this year.

I have went to the Department of State website and checked the foreign entry requirements for these places but the information is not that helpful.

I was just wanting to know if there were some people out there that have traveled with this card and what their experience was with it. Did they encounter any problems etc..?

Cruiser09 05-14-2009 06:43 AM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there has recently traveled or know someone that recently traveled with the passport card.
My family and I are taking a Western Carribean cruise with stops in Ochos Rios Jamaica, and Georgetown, Grand Cayman on the Celebrity Century in December this year.

I have went to the Department of State website and checked the foreign entry requirements for these places but the information is not that helpful.

I was just wanting to know if there were some people out there that have traveled with this card and what their experience was with it. Did they encounter any problems etc..?

Cruise Fanatic 05-14-2009 07:02 AM

The Passport Card really isn't a whole lot better than a birth certificate. You can't use it for international air travel. You can use it for crossing land borders Mexico and Canada, and for entrance back into the country from a US cruise port.

The Passport Card should work fine for your cruise as long as you have no emergency and have to fly back from a Caribbean port.

Frankly, I just wish everyone would get a regular Passport Book.

Cruiser09 05-14-2009 08:50 AM

Cruise Guru,

This really doesn't answer my question. Your opinion is not what I am looking for.

As far as your comment goes in regards to the passport card, that it "really isn't a whole lot better than a birth certificate" I have to ask why is it that the government requires the same documentation for the passport card as for a passport. Why is it valid for as long as a passport?

The restrictions are quite different I must say. But the same documentation that one has to submit for a passport has to be submitted for a passport card and the same processing time applies as well.

It seems to me that you take your title "Cruise Guru" to the extreme. You might want to think before you reply.

Dave 05-14-2009 09:59 AM

Cruiser09,

I think you are the one who might want to think before replying. Opinions are largely what we do here, so when you post something you should expect opinions as replies. Cruise Fanatic's reply to you was not insulting, however your response to CF was.

The facts are that the passport card has limitations that a full passport doesn't have. For closed loop voyages after June 1, a birth certificate and driver's license will still be valid ID...just like a passport card. But neither will cut the mustard for air travel back to the U.S.

Cruise Guru is a karma title based on number of posts, just like Cruise Admiral, or Cruiser. It isn't a title someone gives themselves.

As for Cruise Fanatic's experience...she is one of the most knowledgeable people you will find when it comes to cruises.

As to your question, nobody I know of on this forum has used a passport card for cruise ID. Given the card is a recent development I doubt many of our members even have them, or plan to get them.

Cruiser09 05-14-2009 10:35 AM

Administrator,

The same response to Cruise Guru, I will give to you. Your opinion does not answer my question.

This blog is full of biased opinions and therefore is useless. How you can make such a blatant statement regarding everyone else is beyond my comprehension. You need to speak for yourself and leave others out of it.

For those of you that might not know these are hard economic times and someonone might find this government validated birth certificate as a viable solution.

I started this discussion and now I will end it. I will have to find a more less opinionated blog to participate in.

Have a nice day.

f-mattox 05-14-2009 10:44 AM

I know the documentation required and processing time, as well as the length of validity are the same for the Passport Card and the book Passport; they have the same objective: identifying the holder as a U.S. Citizen.

But the Passport Card was developed as a convenience to those who make frequent land crossings between the United States and Canada and Mexico. Other than that it is no more useful than a certified birth certificate and photo I.D.

And to answer your question; you don't need your passport or passport card to go ashore in Ocho Rios or Grand Cayman--just your cruise card and photo I.D.

Cruiser09 05-14-2009 11:01 AM

F-Mattox,

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. Thus far your response has been the most intelligent and well thought out.

Dave 05-14-2009 11:10 AM

This is not a blog, it is a forum. Blogs ARE opinion driven by the way. Forums are open places for members to exchange opinions and information.

I will not be lectured about what I should and shouldn't do in this forum. We have rules and as long as posts stay within those rules, they are perfectly acceptable. Posting opinions is within the rules. Flaming and insulting members (which includes the staff) is not acceptable.

I know our membership and feel safe in saying they are more prone to get full passports than the passport cards.

This thread is closed.