Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2003, 06:31 PM

Curious if anyone knows what port the Infinity limped to after dumping it's Panama Canal passengers in Mexico? Heard rumours of San Diego, Victoria, and even back to the U.S. eastern seaboard. I have heard it'll be in drydock and out of service until at least March 15th.
Anyone hear anything else?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:31 PM

Curious if anyone knows what port the Infinity limped to after dumping it's Panama Canal passengers in Mexico? Heard rumours of San Diego, Victoria, and even back to the U.S. eastern seaboard. I have heard it'll be in drydock and out of service until at least March 15th.
Anyone hear anything else?
Old 02-07-2003, 04:44 AM

Hi,

she's currently underway to Newport News. It should take her some time to get there at her reduced speed. Currently, she is expected to resume service March 3rd, but this might change depending on how serious the damage is.

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig
Das Ruderhaus

Raoul Fiebig

Old 02-07-2003, 06:04 AM

It's hard to believe that the 'Infinity' is having these problems now. I know that there were vibration problems in this class of ship earlier on and modifications had to be made to the hull structure. Perhaps there are more engineering problems related to her design that we are unaware of.
I recently cruised across the Pacific on this ship. Can't imagine what it would have been like if the engines had failed half way across! Bobby
Old 02-07-2003, 08:10 AM

Hi Bobby,

I do believe Celebrity that the problems are directly related to the Mermaid propulsion system. With only two exceptions, all ships equipped with those systems have suffered from major problems with their podded propulsion at least once. With two exceptions, all of them had to be drydocked in order to work on the pods.

You are correct about the stability problem with the "Millennium", which had to be corrected. However, "Infinity" and the two other ships in the class were modified even before Celebrity accepted delivery.

Any stability problems of that kind do not arise all of a sudden. Therefore, I do not at all believe that this is the reason behind "Infinity's" drydocking. If there were significant problems, Celebrity would have made sure to correct them during "Infinity's" last drydocking.

Best regards,

Raoul Fiebig
Das Ruderhaus

Raoul Fiebig

Closed Thread