Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 04:09 PM

Such as:

Country-western or Rock N Roll or 50's-60's

or Caribbean, etc?

I am curious for an upcoming cruise.

Thanks in advance.

Ann, TTS
Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Administrator

I think they used to do this.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 AM

We were on the Constellation over the holidays. The only theme night was for New Year's Eve. There were a few late night parties on the pool deck that would have a loose theme to them, but generally related to the food that was served. I did not see any hoedowns or sock hops. Sorry.

gpeters
Old 01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
We were on the New Year cruise. They had theme nights at the Bar at the Edge of the Earth. Disco, 50-60s, Latin, country line-dance, etc. These were put on by the staff. We avoided them.
The best entertainment is in the Piano Bar, a.k.a. Michael's Club with Perry Grant.
Also very good dance music was in the Rendez-Vous Lounge.

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith & Rita:
We were on the New Year cruise. They had theme nights at the Bar at the Edge of the Earth. Disco, 50-60s, Latin, country line-dance, etc. These were put on by the staff. We avoided them.
The best entertainment is in the Piano Bar, a.k.a. Michael's Club with Perry Grant.
Also very good dance music was in the Rendez-Vous Lounge.
We were in the Bar at the Edge of the Earth every night from about 8:30 to 10:00 (for ballroom dancing) and there were no theme parties while we were there. Although, now that you mention it, there was one night where the DJ seemed to be wearing what might have been considered a 50's outfit (jeans and converse hi-tops).

One of the things we liked about the Contellation was that it was more subdued about things like theme parties.

Agreed that Rendez-Vous Lounge was good for dance music, but the dance floor was pretty small. We liked Charlie who played the rhythm guitar and the bass pedals.

gpeters

gpeters
Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 PM
The themes started after 11:00 PM. We were late diners so could not attend the ballroom dancing.
We also liked Charlie Butler, as well as the Cooler Kings and Top Secret.

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
We were in the Bar at the Edge of the Earth every night from about 8:30 to 10:00 (for ballroom dancing)
gpeters
Is there good ballroom dancing every night? Good floor? Do the people actually move around the floor in the proper direction?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jmcs:
quote:

We were in the Bar at the Edge of the Earth every night from about 8:30 to 10:00 (for ballroom dancing)
gpeters
Is there good ballroom dancing every night? Good floor? Do the people actually move around the floor in the proper direction?

It was usually just my wife and I. Occasionally another couple or two. The floor was big enough for just about every dance - even Viennese Waltz, although you turn much more often than usual. (The floor is round.) The traffic was light enouhg that we could work around any couple that did not follow line of dance.

While we really liked the young DJ, he was not knowledgeable about ballroom dance music. He would play five waltzes back to back, then five foxtrots, then five tangos, etc. He was not familiar with the bolero and only played Vienese Waltz by accident.

On the flip side, he was fun and friendly. He even asked my wife to dance a few of the latin dances - which he knew fairly well.

We tried to teach a young drink steward how to rhumba. It was unintentionally funny. The DJ called some of the other staff over to watch and chuckle. We got a few complimentary drinks out of that one!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:27 PM

Thank you gpeters. Very informative.

A few people mentioned a while back being kicked off their cruise because of a charter of ballroom dancers. Wouldn't that be ironic for those of us who love to dance?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 PM

You're welcome.

I'll have to look for that thread. I don't understand how a confirmed and ticketed guest would get bumped off a cruise by any group.

Last year we were on the Zuiderdam. There was a chartered group of ballroom dancers (we were not part of their group). It was only about 15 people or so. We enjoyed having the extra dancers around. Sometimes I feel a little self conscious when we're the only ones on the dance floor.

Of all the ships we've been on, the Zuiderdam has been the best for ballroom dancing - best floor, best (live!) ballroom music, best crowd.

Closed Thread

Tags
ballroom, constellation, dancing, grant, nightly, perry