Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 08:22 PM

I know that Celebrity has no legal requirement to make any adjustment or concession after final payment date. However, I booked our Dec. 5 Panama Canal cruise on Mercury many, many months ahead of time, and Celebrity had the advantage of my $900 deposit all that time. In exchange for that and for loyalty, when they recently had a "fire sale" AFTER final payment date, and my inside cabin was $1100 less than I paid, they would do nothing -- not a credit; not an upgrade; and not even a small token onboard credit. Celebrity may occasionally have future business from me, but only for last minute bookings during a fire sale!
Ellie
Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 PM

Hi Ellie,

Sorry to hear about your situation. Sometimes all cruise lines will run sales that say, "New bookings only." It's not just Celebrity. And Celebrity IS one of those cruise lines that will, under different circumstances, give you a lower price even after final payment time. This happened recently to folks I know, who are sailing a 13-night Panama Canal cruise on Infinity. Not only did the price of their cabin go down, but a higher category of cabin (a verandah cabin) was less money than they paid for an Ocean View, and Celebrity switched them to the Verandah without any problem. Had they wanted to stay in their Ocean View, Celebrity was ready to give them the lower price. But the Verandah became even lower in price than the Ocean View.

Celebrity's "fire sale" must have been for new bookings, or had other conditions that your booking did not meet. Under normal circumstances, however, Celebrity gives you the lower price, unlike some other cruise lines that never give you the lower price under any circumstances. If you switch to another cruise line, you may want to check to make sure you're not switching to one that will never lower your price.

Sandy
Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 AM

Ellie, I'm so sorry to hear that because I know you really, really liked Celebrity. Maybe you could write them a letter, stating the facts, and express your disappointment with their lack of willingness to negotiate, you might have some luck. I usually book my cruises way, way in advance, sometimes over a year. I've had a couple go down in price, Princess changed my fare (it was before final payment), Costa did nothing, and Royal gave me an on board credit. The majority of them have stayed the same or increased in price. With the way the economy is, all the lines may be having to discount for a while. Don't give up, you might find someone that will be willing to help you.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 PM

I see that Celebrity is once again, for their three day post election sale, Nov. 5-7 doing the half price second person bit on almost all January and February sailings. Oh well, maybe if I cannot beat them, I will join them and book something in this next "fire sale". That will kind of amortize my Dec. cruise fiasco price I guess LOL.
Ellie
Old 11-01-2008, 06:34 AM

Ellie, I like the way you think!
Let us know if you book another cruise!

Sandy
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 AM

I was in the same boat (no pun intended) as you and it is quite frustrating. I am sailing on the Summit on January 10, 2009. My final payment date was November 1, 2008. I received the "second guest 50% off between November 5 - 7" email the morning of November 1. I could have cancelled the booking and received my payment back on that day. I called the cruise vacation planner at Celebrity I had booked with and they told me not to cancel but to call the resolutions department on Monday, November 3 as they were only open Monday - Friday. When I mentioned that November 1 was the last day I could cancel without penalty, I was told not to worry and that Celebrity takes care of their customers. Just as an aside this will be my third Celebrity cruise in the past four years, and I will be taking two sets of parents who are both Celebrity first timers. Anyway, I called customer relations today and was put through to their "resolution department". I ws told that new bookings will receive the 50% off second guest starting tomorrow and that I should have cancelled on Saturday if I wanted to pick a new date (the week later) and receive my money back for the 10th sailing. When I explained what the CSR told me on Saturday, I received the "that is unfortunate they told you that as we were open that day". About a $1650 misfortune with the 3 cabins combined. The lady today mentioned that existing customers may sometimes see a cruise price reduction with the savings passed on to existing customers. I asked why they would not pass 25% off to the existing customers as that is what the new bookings are receiving in effect and I received the party line. I can understand offering a $100 stateroom credit to new customers and I can live with that. But 50% off the second guest emailed to me on the day of my final payment. I too will not be cruising with Celebrity as this much looked forward cruise has been tarnished with this fire sale and I believe loyal customers who pay in full should not be treated like this. For those still reading, I received zero and a "have a nice day" from the results of my call. But at least I can be assured that somebody "understands how I feel" as that line was said to me at least 20 times. If you can negotiate something different, please let us know on the board. C.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Hi CDR, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Again, I would suggest a nice letter to corporate. Try to be as concise as possible. I don't understand why Celebrity is not at least offering on board credits or something to make their full-paying customers feel appreciated. It's not good PR, and with so many lines competing for the cruise dollar, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they have a potential to lose customers with this type of treatment. Best wishes and I do hope Celebrity will come step up to the plate for all of you.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM

CDR,
I'm not saying you aren't justified in feeling upset at this. However; if you continue to harbor these ill feelings you will ruin your cruise experience and that of your parents first cruise. You will go on the cruise and criticize every little thing in order to justify your decision not to sail with Celebrity again. Thus ruining the whole cruise experience for your parents.

You have stated you have sailed on Celebrity two other times. So you know they have a good product and offer a good experience. Obviously, or you wouldn't be returning. I would do as Penny suggest and write a letter explaining the situation and how you feel. Ask if there isn't some way to be compensated in the form of on board credit, upgrade, or possible future cruise credit.
Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I have been faithful to Celebrity and have only cruise with Celebrity, we are now at Elite status but outside being onboard doesn't mean much. It bothers me that to e-mail to them takes 1 week or more for an answer or no answer at all. I heard that they do not have enough staff to man the e-mail box, they need to shut it down until they do, it just makes customers more angry. I book early all the time, so why am I penalized and have to pay for the fuel charge? I am told that all bookings made prior to Nov 10th will have to pay the surcharge. I booked onboard on Oct 4th 2008, I have a $200 fuel charge for a trip in Feb 2010 but anyone who books on or after Nov 10th this year does not have to pay. I was told by the CC that I can cancel and re-book but I would lose the onboard booking credit of $100 and pay the current price of the trip if it is higher or pray the by Jan 2010 the price of oil is $65 a barrel and I will get a $200 onboard credit...one is one to do ???? I also was starting to look more in to Oceania Cruise Line.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 11-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Janfred,
All the cruise lines that have announced they will be dropping the fuel surcharges are using the same method. They have to have a starting date and unfortunately you were on the wrong side of that date. If you had been on the right side of the date, then naturally, you would have been ecstatic. They simply have to set a point in which to start.

Closed Thread

Tags
ahead, booked, canal, celebrity, cruise, cruises, day, department, final, lowered, panama, payment, price, prices, reductions, resolution, time, year