Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (
-   Celebrity Cruises (
-   -   H1N1 (

Nadine 11-03-2009 11:52 AM

I have what may sound like a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway!

We will be on the Equinox next month. Do you know if Celebrity would be prepared if someone got the H1N1 flu? In other words, do you think they would have Tamiflu available; if a person got sick, how do they handle that?

My husband has some health issues and is concerned about this. The only way for me to reassure him is to try to find out how the H1N1 outbreak is being handled by the cruise line.

It doesn't help that we know eight younger people who have been deathly ill with H1N1!

Thank you and please don't shoot the messenger!


Dave 11-03-2009 01:45 PM

All I can say is read this article from CLIA. Celebrity is a member line of CLIA and will follow the protocols described in the article.

Nadine 11-03-2009 04:04 PM

Dave, thank you, thank you, thank you! I am sure that will answer all his questions and reassure him.


drlivingston 11-03-2009 09:37 PM

Be wary of the fact that, if found that you have contracted the flu, you may be asked to leave the ship. If that is the case, you will be responsible for getting yourself home. That will include airfare and most definitely a PASSPORT.

bmh 11-04-2009 08:23 AM

In that event I guess you are on your own obviously with no compensation. No cancellation insurance once you leave home and board the ship. It is possible that air fare cancellation insurance may trip in if a person was not able to travel home through illness. Not sure that I want to think about it.

penny3333 11-04-2009 09:51 AM

You can purchase insurance for having to leave the ship. Celebrity may sell it, but normally, the independent insurance companies are less expensive. There's a website that might help.

bmh 11-04-2009 12:22 PM

Thanks, interesting web site. I would imagine if a person became incapacitated due to a major injury, heart attack or stroke, medical insurance (providing it is in place) should cover medical bills, not sure about getting home though. It would be expensive booking short term, especially if you were in Europe or worse yet Australia. Best thing is not to get sick.

Cruise Fanatic 11-04-2009 01:19 PM

You would need to check with your medical provider. Many don't provide for coverage outside of the US. Travel Insurance can provide for reimbursement of trip interruption and medical emergencies.

Nadine 11-04-2009 02:03 PM

Thank you all! We always buy independent travel insurance "just in case". My husband is a detail oriented person and always plans ahead, wants answers to questions like these, etc. I, on the other hand, wing it. Guess opposites do attract--we've been married for 45 years!


penny3333 11-05-2009 06:15 AM

Nadine, you're under that magic 30 days out! Congratulations

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 AM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2