Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 12:42 PM

We're thinking of taking the Mercury out of Seattle for a short 5 day cruise to celebrate a 25th wedding anniversary. I read a comment where most people wear tuxedos during formal night and Celebrity requested every one to keep them on after dinner?
We've never sailed on Celeb. and dress accordingly for formal night w/Royal/Princess, etc. but we aren't the tuxedo, cocktail dress type couple. We're pretty laid back and dress more like we're going to church during formal night and then dress down(casual) afterwards. Is that a problem on Mercury and what's the attitude/atmosphere of fellow travelers? We're friendly/outgoing but don't enjoy a snobby/pretentious enviroment.
Thanks as always!
Luv Cruising
Old 08-08-2005, 06:29 AM

While there will be guests on the Mercury that will be in tuxes, many men also wear suits. If your idea of dressing up is nice church clothes, then do what is comfortable. You will find most guests will not look at you funny, comment or even notice. Celebrity cruisers are definitely not snobby or pretentious.

On the other hand, you will find the majority of the guests remain in their formal wear all evening. I doubt that anyone would say anything to you, if you chose to change into casual attire. However, as a courtesy to other guests who enjoy the formal atmosphere, you might want to consider leaving the church clothes on. (Particularly since there is only 1 formal night)

You will also find that a 5 day cruise often attracts the younger, more "casual" passenger.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the info./comments. I'm sure you're right and we'll be fine in our formal attire. I do think we'll still go casual w/others after dinner. My husband(Attorney)& I(Real Estate)get enough suits during the week and really want to forget work. Suites, are a reminder for us. Most cruise lines from what we've noticed(cruised 24x) have toned down the formal nights to a more upscale casual. Rarely, see a tuxedo. We're told a lot of cruisers request/prefer it that way and more cruise lines are headed towards that direction w/more alternative dining??
We don't mind either way, as long as people are enjoying themselves, the food and just having a "great time."
Thanks again for the info., here's looking forward to a 1st on Celebrity.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:01 PM

Having sailed on Celebrity many times - including the Mercury, I do find them to be more formal than other ships. That's not to say that everyone will be in a formal gown and tuxedo on the formal night but you will see more of them than you do on other lines. I'm sure you will look nice in whatever you wear and since it's your vacation you should be comfortable but if a suit with tie is not to your liking maybe you should consider Royal Caribbean or Princess as they are not as formal. Celebrity does ask on the formal nights - and only the formal nights, that everyone please maintain the dress code throughout the evening and I recall probably 95% of the passengers adhering to their request.

Caribbean Travel Articles
Old 08-09-2005, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the input. It always helps to hear from someone who has already been on the ship. I did look on another cruise web-site where Mercury cruisers stated formal night had tuxedos but no more than other lines. Checked w/our travel agent(Mercury pasenger) who confirmed that statement and called Celebrity who said "absolutely not"(his words, not mine) are guests asked to keep formal attire on, it's your vacation, you should dress how you want after dinner. He also said suit/tie/dress were perfect. He stated it's not a policy to keep formal attire on and they don't ask you to. So, not sure what to think at this point?? May be at one time it was a policy and have now changed it?? I've noticed on other cruise lines more people are changing after formal night. We've also noticed a bit of a trend w/seeing more dining rooms emptier on formal nights and the alternative dining fuller. Oh well, I guess I'll soon find out.
My husband has always worn suit/tie that's not a problem, it was a question of tuxedos/cocktail dresses and dressing casual after dinner. I always wear a nice dress or pant suit, during formal night, just not into cocktail dresses. They look gorgeous, it's just I spent many yrs. having to wear them for work related functions and if I never have to wear one again I could live w/that. And, as I stated, my husband wears a suit 5x a week, leaving his suit on all night reminds him of work(stressful job). We both like to go back to our cabin and dress more casual/comfortable, usually slacks/sweater/loafers for both of us.
We've traveled many, many times w/RC and Princess. But now that our kids are grown we're exploring lines we haven't been able to try before. Thanks, for the suggestion though and you're absolutely right it's not as formal on RC/Princess.
At this point, I'm just going to enjoy myself, not worry about what other people are wearing and have fun. If, someone has a problem w/what I'm wearing, so be it. It's their problem, not ours, as my husband stated. This is our vacation time and we're really looking forward to relaxing, meeting some wonderful people on board and celebrating 25 terrific years together.
Thanks, for taking the time to reply to my question. Your were very helpful and I always appreciate any feedback I can get.
Sincerely,
Luv Cruisin

Closed Thread