Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2006, 01:25 PM

We will be cruising the British Isles, Norway and Denmark in July on the Constellation. Looking for anyone who has cruised this itinerary. Any port recommendations? What was the weather? How were the seas? We enjoy formal nights in the dining room and want to book Ocean Liners on a non-formal night. Any suggestions?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:22 AM

Hi Lisa, We are headed for the Constellation on the June 17th sailing...have been on her before, but not this itinerary, so I have many of the same questions you do. The only thing I can answer is that if you want to book the specialty restaurant on a non-formal night and are a Captain's Club member, you can call them before you go and set it up...if not, when you board, head for the lounge where you can find the maitre'd (it will be listed on the sheet in your cabin when you arrive) and you'll find a specialty restaurant employee who will be glad to set up a reservation for you. Formal nights are usually those when you are "at sea" so let that be your guideline. Hope you have a wonderful time. We have been on Constellation before and I promise you will not be disappointed about the restaurant.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Hi Lisa,

It's me again...after our cruise on the Constellation to the Baltics. I wanted to get back to you and answer your questions specifically.

First of all, I have to tell you that the weather was NOT what I expected...it seems that Europe was experiencing a "warm spell" during our time there....starting in London, where you certainly didn't need a raincoat or an umbrella. It was more like sunscreen and sandals. We arrived there two days early and enjoyed the sightseeing. They thought it was humid but to us it was just two nice warm days. In Olso, Stockholm, Helsinki and St. Petersburg we were fine with slacks and short sleeved tops...no real need for sweatshirts, jackets, etc. But there was some rain on and off. The only times things really got cool were in Germany and Denmark. However, by lunch time we were back to the short sleeves and probably could have worn shorts (although I didn't see too many people wearing them!!)

The seas were extremely calm, including the infamous North Sea. I'm still trying to figure out how Constellation can sneak up to a dock and "park" without anyone on the ship knowing (unless you were sitting on your balcony or looking over the rail to see.) This was one calm ride.

Formal nights were the first Sunday (a day at sea), the next to the last night out (our stop on that day was in Helsingborg, Sweden), and the day at sea in the middle of the cruise (I'm thinking it was a Monday night?) We booked Ocean Liners on the first night we were in St. Petersburg...the sightseeing there was intense and we had early seating. So we booked Ocean Liners for 8:30 so that when we returned to the ship just before 6 we could catch a quick nap before getting ready for dinner. I don't know if you have main or late seating (we had main) so that worked out well for us. We actually went to Ocean Liners twice, and I highly recommend the Steak Diane. You won't be disappointed. There are various opinions about the specialty restaurants on Celebrity on this board, so I won't go through all that again here. I think it's enough to say that if you want to know what it was like to be a first class passenger on the great ocean liners of the past, you'll enjoy the experience. It's about much more than just "the food."

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did ours. Bon voyage!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:35 PM

Thanks for your report, Chloe! Please post a review on cruisereviews.com too. Glad you had such good, calm weather!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:13 PM

Hi Chloe, thanks for your input, though i'm not booking on Constellation, I'm planning on doing almost the same itinerary aboard Century next summer. That pretty much gave me an idea regarding the weather and what to expect on sea days. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:52 PM

Hello Chole,

We are from NY. We read some of your reviews of the Constellation, but would love some more of your input to specific questions.

1. How many specilty resturants are there on board and which one would you recommend?

2. We have a 14 yr old son, were there many children in this age group? And do you know if the ship offers many programs for young adults?

3. What activities or shows did you enjoy most on the ship?

4. What was your favorite port of call?

5. Did you find any real bargins to at any of the ports?

We will be on the constellation on Aug. 12.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:10 AM

Just came home from the British Isles/Norway cruise on Constellation, and everything was exceptional. As noted, the Europe "heat wave" made for pleasantly warm days. Loved Bergen, fjords, and everyone's favorite, Copenhagen. If you go there, don't miss the Bloom nature photo display in the main square.

Only one specialty restaurant (Ocean Liners) and it was, as usual, terrific - $30 well spent. We prefer the a la carte menu and ordering wine. Try the goat cheese soufle. We've done the one on Millennium several times, but this was our first cruise on the Connie. Personally, I wouldn't go on a formal night - that's when the menu and ambiance in the main dining room are at their best. We go on a casual night, but still book early.

Lots of teenagers of many nationalities. Some passengers thought too many, but they didn't bother us. Little kids too. All of them had their own spaces, and were mostly invisible. A 14 year old will be happy.
Forget bargains in Britain and Norway. Can't say about the Baltic.
The best place on the ship is the outdoor bar on the stern at sail away. We skipped the dining room (early seating) and stayed out there for hours with dinner and drinks several evenings. Next time,late seating!

Best show was Circ de Soliel. No surprise there.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jk1725:
Hello Chole,

We are from NY. We read some of your reviews of the Constellation, but would love some more of your input to specific questions.

1. How many specilty resturants are there on board and which one would you recommend?

2. We have a 14 yr old son, were there many children in this age group? And do you know if the ship offers many programs for young adults?

3. What activities or shows did you enjoy most on the ship?

4. What was your favorite port of call?

5. Did you find any real bargins to at any of the ports?

We will be on the constellation on Aug. 12.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:48 AM

Oops, I guess I messed up on the "reply with quote" part above, and I guess I'm a bit late as someone else has all ready answered and you are enjoying your first day at sea as I write this. However, to respond anyway (since I think it's always interesting to compare), here are my thoughts.

Ocean Liners is the only specialty restaurant, as Skipjack said. Lots of people don't go there on formal night for the exact reason mentioned. Don't want to sound cynical, but after many cruises, the formal night routine sometimes gets a little old and we found the alternative restaurant a nice change. It's an elegant place so elegant clothes fit right in. There were 3 formal nights on our trip and 2 in the dining room were plenty for us.

And I agree about the kids. Celebrity does a fabulous job with them. I hope your 14 year old hooked up with others and had a great time.

As for the shows, Cirque de Soleil does not impress me and never did...obviously I'm not in the majority there as they are a very successful organization and have many loyal and devoted fans. I'm not one of them. However, I loved their Broadway review, even though we've seen it before on another Celebrity ship.

Favorite port of call was most definitely Helsinki, Finland and I say that because we had a fabulous day long shore excursion that included a visit to a horse farm in the countryside that was very unique and interesting. Helsinki is a great city, too.

And as far as bargains are concerned, you can forget that whole idea on this itinerary. The dollar exchange was lousy in Britain and even worse in the Baltic countries. Europeans aren't impressed with our currency one bit. It does drive home the economic concept of "buying American" while here at home, something I don't always consider when spending money.

If nothing else, these posts from Skipjack and me indicate how varied people's thoughts can be regarding cruising. That's why we like it so much. There's always something for everyone. You can do everything, or you can do nothing. There's no right or wrong thing to do. Either way, it's a great vacation. I hope yours was as well.

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, constellation, cruise, cruises, europe, helingborg, northern, norway, review, reviews