Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2006, 11:30 AM

I know how much to pay for gratuities, I went on Celebrity's Home Page.

My question is: does anyone know how much really goes to the crew, how it is divided amongst them and how much the administration keeps.

One example, the waiter -- the amount recommended is $3.50US per person per day; that equals $24.50 per week. If he/she takes care of 20 passengers per dinner and they pay pay at least the amount recommended, he/she would receive $490 per week. I realize that some of that money must go to the crew in the kitchen.

I always pay the recommended amount, but I always wonder if some passengers pay absolutely nothing. Not knowing how the money is divided, some might say, it is not my $24.50 that will make a difference.

Does it make a difference also, in paying in cash or with a voucher. Does the individual get to keep more if it is cash (not traceable), as with a voucher the amount is what the passenger paid at Guest Relations and is easily traceable.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 PM

It's my understanding that the tips that are left on your account are split and the extra you give them is theirs to keep. We always leave the suggested amount and tip extra to those who take care of us. There are those who do not tip, for the life of me I cannot understand this. However, don't think $24.50 doesn't make a difference. In most of the countries the crews are from, it's worth 100 times more. As always, tipping is a personal preference. On all the cruises we've been on, the crew more than deserves what we tip them. Have a wonderful cruise!!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:04 PM

Thank you.
That's what we thought.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 PM

On Celebrity if you pre pay your tips you are given a slip stating you have pre paid for your envelopes. The waiter , cabin steward etc get what you pre pay in the amounts suggested. The crewmember also gets a list at the beginging of each cruise what cabins are pre paid and which ones are not. We always add a bit more cash to the envelopes even though we have gone to pre paying our tips. However there are about 5% of passengers who stiff the crew per cruise.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:39 AM

Interesting conversation. I've never read about tips being split with the kitchen on cruise ships. Anyone know this for a fact about Celebrity?

Also, at $490 per week X 4 weeks a month, almost $2000, considering their expenses, IS like a huge ton of money to these fine folks.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:04 PM

I think, these amounts are wrong.
We just came back and our waiter had only 8 people, because the rest decided to eat in the Windjammer. So thatīs 196 $ per week, if everybody is paying the gratuaties. But Iīve heard from more and more people, that they proudly tell, cutting of the gratuity or avoiding the gratuaties completely, while eating the last evening not in the dining-room.
Thatīs absolutely unfair.
This time we had a box and envelopes in the Windjammer Cafe, to extend some gratuities to the Windjammer Service Crew, who normally does not get gratuaties, while they work for 2 weeks in the Windjammer. They only get the small amount, the cruiseline is paying them.
Iīve asked for this so often and now they have done it on at least one ship, congratulations to the management.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:28 PM

Great idea, Oppis! And how sad that people boast of, in effect, cheating those hardworking folks out of money that could make a big difference to them!

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, cruise, cruises, gratuaties, gratuities, gratuity, princess, ship, suggested