Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Banned

Looks like Celebrity is just catching up to other cruise line policies that have been in place for many years. NCL has been employing the auto gratuity for many years. With a upscale cruise brand like Celebrity the auto tip should not be any big deal.

The days of stuffing envelopes with cash is an old style.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Call me old fashion, but I like the way Celebrity and RCI has been doing it with the vouchers. I still after all these years have a hard time "trusting" that the gratuities are being paid. I'm not at all suggesting anything here that the cruise lines are cheating the crew. But glitches happen, and it is a human sitting there typing in the information into the computer, mistakes can be made. With the voucher I have something to hand the crew member and they know their gratuity is on account. The voucher gives them proof too. When they collect their gratuities if a name was missing off the list they have the voucher to show.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 AM

You're right Cruise Fanatic. I really try to tip extra every cruise, so I know they at least got something from me. I like the voucher idea, too.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Administrator

While I have no objection to this new policy, it's a shame it had to be implemented.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 AM

I have read all your posts but have to disagree.The definition of a gratuity is a reward for good service, at least it is is my eyes. How then can you prepay gratuities if you have not yet had the service? You also have to factor in the issue that we Brits do not have the American psyche of tipping. We still like the "envelope" method on cruises, and we will always "opt out" of the automatic gratuity when we cruise.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 AM
I like the idea of pre-paying. I just bury it in the cost of the whole trip and forget about it. As a result, I'm much more likely to give even more once onboard.
But I don't like the cruise line telling me I WILL pay. That sounds more like a demand notice or a tax than a gratuity.
I'm sure it makes it much easier to track the true incomes of these poor souls who break their backs for our enjoyment.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
But I don't like the cruise line telling me I WILL pay. That sounds more like a demand notice or a tax than a gratuity.

The cruise lines don't like to say "you will pay" they like to use the term "for your convenience the gratuities have been added with the suggested amount"
Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Didn't income taxes start out being voluntary during WWII?

I've never bumped into a cruise ship employee who was't gracious. I guess I have trouble with authority!

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM

poormom, I have to agree with your point of view. In a case were gratuities/tips are mandatory they cease being that and become a service fee.

So my question is; are the tips adjustable like Carnival's are? If so, I don't have any problems with it. I usually tip extra any way.

Dwayne
Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
In a case were gratuities/tips are mandatory they cease being that and become a service fee.
Tips are never mandatory. Having tips added automatically avoids many problems, such as looooong lines at the Cashier's Desk or Purser's Desk the last day of the cruise, with folks wanting to cash checks. Also, for folks not wanting to be bothered with dividing cash into envelopes or multiplying the per day tips and hoping to come up with the right answers, it's a convenience.

Holland America used to have a "no tipping required" policy, but everyone tipped anyway, the same amounts as on other cruise lines.

I'm sure Celebrity can adjust or eliminate the automatically added tips if a passenger wants to do that. I would hope that if someone receives such poor service that they don't want to tip, that they have brought it to the Purser's attention long before it's time to tip.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
aqua, auto, class, cruise, removing, tip, tips