Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Starting on January 15, Celebrity will be adding gratuities daily to each passenger's SeaPass account. Also, the amount of the gratuities is changing.

For all ships EXCEPT the XPedition, where gratuities are included in the fare, the following per person per day gratuities, which can be adjusted if the passenger so desires, apply:

Waiter $3.65
Asst Waiter $2.10
Dining Room Management $1.00

Room Steward $3.50 ($4 in Concierge/Aqua Class)
Butlers in Suites $3.50
"Other Service Personnel" $1.25

This totals $11.50 per person, per day if you're in a stateroom, $12.00 per person per day for Concierge or Aqua Class, and $15.00 per person per day if you're in a suite.

Sandy
Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Thanks for this report, Sandy.

I've never had a problem with gratuities being automatically added to my account. I've been waiting to see if the amounts increased. I don't have a problem with that either. They certainly earn it.

It is odd to see Celebrity be the vanguard for this. I guess RCCL figures that RCI is getting enough heat for adding charges so they'll let Celebrity share the heat. I fully anticipate RCI following suit in a few weeks.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 PM

I don't have a problem with auto tips either. As long as they can be adjusted. It is a great convenience. The amounts seem reasonable as well.

Dwayne
Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 AM
I don't have a problem with that either, I always like to pay everything including tips, soda card and excursions months in advance, if I am able. Maybe I'm quirky but it sure is nice getting on board and only needing spending money!
Why do they need to do that, do many passengers just skip out the last night and not give anything to the staff?? That is really cheesy

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 AM

You still have the option of pre-paying the gratuities with your cruise payment. If you do that, then obviously the tips will not be added to your SeaPass account.

There are some people who don't tip, or who can't add and get the amounts wrong, or who don't want to tip for children. Putting tips on your account automatically solves more problems with staff than it may create with extra accounting.

Sandy
Old 01-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Yes janfred, on more than one cruise in the days when everyone did the "cash in envelope" tipping method, I've seen many empty seats at that final evening's dinner. Even on Celebrity.

I am hoping RCI does this too. There current system of charging it to your account is a hassle, because you have to go to the desk to request it and then stuff vouchers in envelopes.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 AM

being a first timer excuse this if the answers obvious, just dotting the i's so to speak. Am I right in assuming that with auto tipping that you don't tip the individual yourself? Also I've booked suite with Celebrity, does that mean I will be charged $15 a day or $15 each for my wife and I each day?

Nick.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Hi Gypster and welcome to Cruise-Chat.

The tips that are automatically added to your onboard account are for your room steward, the waiter and assistant waiter, the Maitre d' in the dining room, and assorted other "personnel" during your cruise. When you order a bar drink, the tip will already be included when you sign the bill.

This means you do not have to hand tips to these people, unless you feel you want to give them extra money. But it's not necessary.

If you're in a non-suite type of room, you'll have $11.00 per person, per day added to your bill. If you're on a 7 day cruise, this means the tips added will be $77 per person, or $154 total for two people. If you are in a suite, the tips added will be $12.00 per person, per day, or $84 per person for a 7 day cruise.

Sandy
Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

I am not sure how Celebrity is handling the specifics. You might get vouchers and envelopes to hand out on the last evening or they may be handling the distribution of tips without any passenger involvement. Either way, you will not be expected to hand over any other money unless you want to.

Gratuities are always based on per person/per day .
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
You might get vouchers and envelopes to hand out on the last evening
I'm assuming that will not be the case, since everyone will be paying automatically. The vouchers are usually for those who have either pre-paid or added tips to their onboard accounts on those cruises where other passengers are putting cash into envelopes.

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
aqua, auto, class, cruise, removing, tip, tips