Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 12:03 AM

I would like to seek some advise from you experienced cruisers. We were recently on an 11 day Mediterranean cruise, our first cruise ever. While the cruise and exclusions seems to meet our expectations (we really do not have any other to compare to) our cabin was at the back of the ship (Panorama Deck) and the noise from the engines/props kept us awake just about every night. I was told by many others that had cabins to the back of the Galaxy on other voyages and they all said they have not experienced this. It sounded (and rumbled) like a flight train going through the cabin! We might as well have a room by the railroad track!

I complained several times, finally they sent the Room Service Manager up and the guy said it was “usual”. Usual my foot! I had to get up in the middle of the night to move the glasses as they were rattling so hard that my wife thought an alarm had gone off. I also had to put slips of toilet paper on the closet doors to keep them from banging. The bottles in the mini bar were playing Beethoven 5th Symphony (unfortunitely worst than my 4 year old!) I cannot see this being “normal” for a luxury cruise line!

I do not pretend to know where the vibrations came from; but having worked in a ship repair/maintenance facility for a couple of years when I was a young engineer my guess will be either engine vibration or cavitations of the propellers. We also checked with others on the ship, there cabins on the more forward parts of the ship have no such noise or vibrations! It also seems to be at a certain speed and current as it actually were not there for a couple of nights (1 1/2 to be exact).

I had left a letter with the Customer Service desk with our complaint but so far we have not heard anything.

What other channels do we have to get some answers from Celebrity Cruise Line?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 PM

you may send a mail to customer service manager
Celebrity Cruises
1050 Caribbean Way,
Port of Miami, FL 33132
Old 04-21-2007, 07:40 PM

We are booked I believe in similar location for an October 2007 Greek Island cruise - even six months out few cabins were available so not much opportunity to move forward. I wonder if you ever received a reply. We're on the Continental Deck - near the elevators.

We're forewarned about the mechanical vibration - looking forward to the week.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Banned

The Century has the same type of vibration at the rear of the ship. Tom
Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM

polartraveller

I'm surprised you had this on Panorama deck. Much more of a concern for Dick Williams who posted he'll be on Continental. This vibration is common especially on older ships (Galaxy built 1996) and toward the rear where engines and props transfer it. Normally it's heaviest at the rear of the lower decks. The only time it's normally as bad as you describe is coming into and leaving ports.

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. Don't expect too much sympathy from Celeb Cust Serv. The cruise lines take much better care of passengers onboard the ship than they do after the sailing. It's not Celeb specifically, actually they do a better job than most with issues. But in the case of the industry response to complaints, even valid ones better means pretty poor instead of horrible.

Thanks for the heads up on this, will advise future clients to strongly consider forward if booking Galaxy.

Cheers, Neil
Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Banned

I agree with Niel, don't expect much help from Celebrity. It does not matter before,during or after thier customer service need's a lot of improvement. I will be very suprised if you get any help at all from them, let alone any compensation. Tom
Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Your vibration /noise problem on the Galaxi at rear is also present on the Celebrity.Newer ships with azipods as propulsion (no rudder,no shafts, forward facing props )do not have this problem.On these older ships is best to have cabins in the middle.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 AM

We are on the Galaxy last Nov/Dec doing a back-to-back. yes the ship did vibrate quite a lot especially during dinner time and when it starts its engine to leave port. It was like an earthquake.

But it was a nice ship. We have a wonderful asst maitre named Johann who even arrange for a banana split for us for dessert!!!

Closed Thread