Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 PM

I've been scanning the recent vitriolic posts about Celebrity, and can't help wondering if these folks didn't board the African Queen by mistake. It sure doesn't sound like the Celebrity we know and love. Cruises in the past 12 months on both Holland America (third time) and Royal Caribbean have only reinforced our determination to stick with Celebrity. Half a dozen recent Celebrity cruises, including three on Millennium (two ending in Barcelona where disembarcation went well and nothing was stolen), plus Galaxy, Zenith and Constellation have all been wonderful and without complaint. Maybe we were just lucky?

Anyway, my question is - Does anyone have a clue where the new ships will be based?

We'd very much like to book the inaugural cruise on Solstice, and also either Journey or Quest. I can't learn anything on the web site or from the Captain's Club, but all three ships will be in service next year, and they must have made some decisions by now.

Also, and for what it's worth, we sailed from Port Canaveral last week on the Mariner and one of the RCI folks on shore told me that they'd heard that Celebrity was going to base a ship there. Maybe just wishful thinking, but it sure would shorten the drive to Fort Lauderdale.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:34 PM

Opps! I see that Journey and Quest have been added to the Celebrity web site, but nothing yet on Solstice?
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 PM

I believe a lot of people are just far to critical. Instead of going around looking for things to criticize they should concentrate on enjoying their cruise. Next winter Celebrity will be going into Australia and word has it they may have their eye on Asia.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM

Celebrity Solstice will have larger standard staterooms, 90 percent of which will be outside, and 85 percent of those will have verandas. The 2,850-guest ships will have an exceptional range of guest-inspired services and amenities, and will measure 1,033 feet in length and 121 feet in width. German shipbuilder Meyer Werft will build the new tonnage.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 AM

Skipjack - You are absolutely right about "...the African Queen by mistake." Celebrity's service is outstanding and, having just sailed on the Mercury in Sept. 2006, I found her to be in excellent shape with a very attentive crew and outstanding service. I believe the Journey will start cruising out of Port Liberty to Bermuda in May. We are hoping to catch up with that itinerary later this year. I would love to read a review once someone has actually sailed on her.

Our head waiter told us that the Mercury will begin sailing to Australia late in 2007.

I don't think you were "just lucky" on your Celebrity cruises. I think you went to enjoy the cruise and not to criticize. I think Celebrity gets way to many "knocks" but then it also seems that the appreciative cruiser rates them highly...........Conde Nast is pretty well respected.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:51 AM

shanghai 100, I hope the list of features include an outside bar and dining area on the stern similar to the Millennium ships. That's our favorite feature, and with the usual resident guitar player, a delightful place for sail-aways or evening drinks. If the weather and scenery justify it, we frequently skip the dining room and stay for a buffet dinner.

Pity their lawyers convinced Celebrity to eliminate the table umbrellas.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:27 PM

I just booked the Journey for the Carnaval cruise leaving one year from today. I've never been on Celebrity and am looking forward to a smaller ship than I'm used to traveling on.

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, guitar, players, ships