Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 AM

My husband and myself plus another couple are booked on the Century for March 6, 2006 9 Day cruise. I have read so many reports that the Century has gone downhill and is in very much need of refurbish which is going to be done in April 2006. Here is my concern, would you cruise on a ship that is going into drydock a couple of weeks after your cruise and chance that the ship is perhaps run down and nothing will be done to keep the maintenance and appearance up seeing all this will change soon. This is our 5th cruise on Celebrity and our first cruise was on the Century which got us hooked and at that time the ship was wonderful .

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Cindy
Oakville, Ont. Canada
Old 08-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Banned

Cindy
We were on the Century in April 05.It was rough, the common areas were very worn, the theater was rough, one night the seat back on the seats ahead of us came right off and the people fell backwards,the lightimg on the steps in the theater kept coming loose and people were tripping on it as they walked up and down the aisle's.The furniture in the sitting area's was worn and the cushion's were dirty looking and sagging.The bedding and furniture in the cabin's is way overdue to be changed, again not dirty just very worn.The overall appearence was just that everything was very worn, not so much dirty but way past time for dry dock.This was our 3rd. cruise on the Century and it will be our last until she is refurbished.In my opinion a PREMIUM cruise line should be premium in all aspect's not just in service.We were on the Horizon a few years ago and Celebrity had let that ship get in very bad condition as well.With the prices that Celebrity is charging now , I .think that they will have to take better care of thier fleet or plan on loosing market share.There are other less expensive line's that have turned around and going after the premium market, HAL for example.This is just my opinion, but as I said aPremium line should be premium in all aspect's of cruising. Tom
Old 08-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Tom

Thanks for you're info, we cruised on Princess last October and I thought it wasn't too bad but to me nothing has equalled Celebrity. I think I just might do some investigating and see what Princess has to offer, I still have lots of time to cancel on the Century. We have seen so much of the Caribbean and on the 9 day cruise we hadn't been to Aruba, Curacao, Ocho Rios and we have been able to get into Grand Cayman, it was the itinerary that we thought was great.

Cindy
Old 08-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

Cindy
I'm sure the service on Princess will not compare to X. But like I said there should be more to a quality cruise vacation than the service alone. Your surrounding's should be top notch also.Good luck in what ever line you choose.Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 04:16 PM

Cindy,
I was on a Baltic cruise on the Century about 2 months ago and although I did see signs of wear and tear, she was certainly not in a condition that would make me not consider sailing her again before she goes into drydock. Tom and I were both on that cruise and did separate mega reviews of the cruise (with numerous photos) - you might want to read them before you jump ship:
http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Century64.htm

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Century63.htm

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-25-2005, 05:46 PM

Nancy & Tom,

After much consideration my husband and myself and another couple whom we cruise with every year have decided to keep our reservations on the Century which is March 9 not the 6th that I had posted orginally. The Century was the first ship that my husband and I cruised on a few years ago and got us hooked after that it was the Mercury since then we have been on only the Millenium class Celebrity ships but there is something about the Century and Mercury that we really enjoy and I think it is the intimacy of that size ship, it also had the best meals. As long as the service and food are good and the ship is clean all four of us can handle a bit of shabby decor.

As a matter of fact, I have even booked a Feb 10, 2007 cruise 5 night Western on the Century after she is refurbished with balconys. That I am really looking forward to as I have read that she will look amazing with lots of new additions similar to the Millenium ships.

Thanks so much for the links to your wonderful reviews, they were extremely interesting and your comments have been greatly appreciated.

Cindy
Oakville, Ontario.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:27 PM

Hi Cindy, my DP and I are scheduled to be on the Century in less then 30 days.. if there any specific concerns let me know and I will be glad to check them out for you
HAL Oosterdam
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit
Golden Princess

"Integrity begins with I!"
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Joey, I just got off the Millennium. She is going into dry dock this November and I can't wait to read your review of her on the other side of dry dock.

BTW, where can I get your cool .sig file?

Tom
Old 09-29-2005, 12:10 AM

Yes Joey,

tell us about the link for this signature.
Iīve never seen something like this before and think more of us here on the board are interesting to know, where you can get it.

Marita

Old 09-29-2005, 03:53 AM

Thatís so funny, every board I post on, people want to know more about my signature, then cruise information! LOL but it's all good, Being a newbie here i am not sure of etiquette of posting links so I wont just to say if you are interested just please send me an email to this screen name at yahoo and put signature in the reference Line and I will be glad to shoot the link back to all thatís interested!
HAL Oosterdam
Celebrity Century
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit
Golden Princess

"Integrity begins with I!"

Closed Thread

Tags
century, cruise, opinion, ship