Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM

As a wedding present, my wife and I received a 14 day Baltic cruise on the Century. Neither of us have been on a cruise before and are seeking some answers to some questions that aren’t listed on Celebrities website
1)What is normal tipping policy on a cruise?
2)If we decide to skip the regular dinning room for dinner is there an additional charge? Same goes for room service (if even offered)?
3)Charge for sodas and water or only booze?
4)Since we are in a concierge class room, what are the services rendered and do we only tip them when services are provided or mandatory regardless?
5)Do you have to pay for shore excursions or are there shuttles provided to see the towns on your own?
6)What is the best way to cover currency exchanges since some of the port cities do not use the Euro? (i.e. go to a bank ahead of time to get money specific currency, use the exchange on board, atm machines in specific cities)

As you can probably tell, we aren’t “well off” people and just want to know what to be financially prepared for. Awesome itinerary for our cruise, but want to make sure we can afford all the specifics in order to have a great time instead of worrying the whole time of what we will be billed on the last day. Obviously, we are also more interested in exploring the ports on our own vs. being tied down to a tour group.
Thanks for any insight you all may provide and soory for all the questions. Yes, I'm a newbie
Old 04-02-2006, 07:42 AM

JayMumma,
Welcome to cruise-chat. Let me see if I can help with some of the questions:

1)What is normal tipping policy on a cruise?
--Gratuities are distributed at the end of the cruise and may be charged to your onboard charge account if you wish. Suggested gratuities: waiter - $3.50, asst. waiter $2.00,
asst maitre d' $.75 / stateroom attendant (concierge class) $4.00 - these are per person per day. Tips for bar service are already included in the price so no additional tip is expected.

2)If we decide to skip the regular dinning room for dinner is there an additional charge? Same goes for room service (if even offered)?
There is no additional charge for eating at the alternative casual dining room (buffet area) or for room service (available 24/7). You may wish to tip the server who brings you room service however.

3)Charge for sodas and water or only booze?
They do charge additional for sodas and bottled water.

5)Do you have to pay for shore excursions or are there shuttles provided to see the towns on your own?
shore excursions incur additional costs. However, on that Century itinerary - there are a number of ports that offer complimentary shuttle service into the center of town - but then you are on your own for touring.

6)What is the best way to cover currency exchanges since some of the port cities do not use the Euro? (i.e. go to a bank ahead of time to get money specific currency, use the exchange on board, atm machines in specific cities)
I always suggest ATM's as the best way to handle the money situation, but again on that itineray we did get some currency exchanged at the onboard bank as a convenience.

I wrote a mega-review of my Baltic cruise last year on the Century (as did Tom Ogg) that might shed some light on many of the questions and concerns you have:
http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Century64.htm
http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Century63.htm

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, cruise, currency, exchange, port, review