Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 AM

Here is a little feedback on our 11 nt Eastern Med cruise on the Solstice in May 09. We went all out, at least for us, on this cruise with a level C1 Celebrity Concierge room with a balcony. The ship and room were absolutely fantastic. Breakfast each morning on the balcony was a dream. The rest of the meals were good. The main dining room was all sit-down with nice menus and well prepared dishes. Nothing I would rave about. The buffet was consistently OK. No decorations or anything more than a place to eat. We are not formal people on vacation. So we were not particularly pleased (although we were aware) with the two formal nights that "required" at least a dinner jacket. They loaned me one for the second event. It was not worth the hassle. We didn't try the multiple specialty restaurants. We were not going to spend another $50 for a meal after what this cruise cost to begin with. Service was give and take. The room stewards were exceptional. The dining staff was professional and pleasant. But there was some obvious internal strife between them. The rest of the staff was friendly but not always well informed. When we arrived at the dock, no one knew anything about the special Concierge handling we were promised. I purchased the soda ticket pre-cruise. I had to go to four different locations before anyone even knew what I was talking about. The entertainment was mediocre, at best. Other activities were disappointing. Everytime they announced an event or activity there was a fee involved. Nothing was included. There were a couple of lawn games. They set up a small crocket outfit and put out some bocce balls. Plus there were two putters and some balls on a small green. The Corning glass blowing show was interesting. That was about it for outside activities. The rest was the pools. At least there were abundant lounges around both pools.

Basically, it depends on your wants. This ship is definitely suited to a more senior crowd who is happy to lay around the pool during the day, dress up, have a nice meal, and then a drink at the martine bar in the evening. Go for it. If you are looking for a little fun and activity, this is not it.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Hi HollywoodMD, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Sorry the Solstice wasn't your cup of tea. I might suggest the Yachts of Seaborn or Regent 7 Seas for your next cruise. They are a step above the mainstream cruise lines. It sounds from your other post that you enjoyed your itinerary and were able to find good rates with excursions not through the ship.

Hope your next cruise is more enjoyable. Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, cruises, dinner, eastern, formal, med, menus, night, reviews, solstice