Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 PM

My husband & I travelled from KC to Ft Lauderdale 12/10/06 for our Millenium Cruise. On arrival in Ft Lauderdale we were notified the cruise had been cancelled in November. Royal Caribbean (parent company) admitted not all passengers had been notified. I actually have emails from Celebity confirming my reservations in late November. I was able to print my immigration forms & boardng info pass on 12/09/06. Celebrity screwed up, passengers did not. They are sorry for the inconvenience, I'm sure. Big deal. They are now paying for 2 nights in a hotel, our airfare from KC to Ft Lauderdale, our meals, and a complimenary 7-day cruise to be used before 2007. We will not use that though because we will never book a cruise on Celebrity in the future. They are too many competent cruise lines and nobody needs that kind of aggravation! Holland America is the best cruise line and we will continu future voyages with them.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM

JAK I was wondering did you only find this forum after the "cruise" or did you lurk (only read and not write) here before too??? These forums are often very helpful even before you cruise. We are still a relative small board but even so we catch things too and sometimes passengers read things here and when they check it up with their TAs they often find that they are on a call list.

However all cruiselines screw up sometimes it just does not always have to be you they screw up with..... Every cruise line in the world has humans working for them (thank goodness) and like you they too can make mistakes... Let us also not forget mass market cruiselines may look very much alike but it is the little things that make each line different. Not all passengers will enjoy each line equally - it is almost like th e pot looking for the right lid....
Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 AM

I Googled to see if anyone else had had this happen to them with Celebrity. This site came up. Don't worry - I won't access the site again!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 AM

JAK, You have a free cruise for 2007, full refund for 12/10 and air and hotel paid for. Why would you throw away a free cruise? I know there is a bad taste for Celebrity but take advantage of their olive branch, what's to lose?
Hope you take advantage of the free trip.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:33 AM

JAK I am alittle confused and I guess I have probably missed something but why wouldn't you want to come again??
Old 12-18-2006, 12:07 PM

They left us stranded for 4 hours in Ft Lauderdale. We had to find hotel rooms on at the same time 2 other cruise ships were putting up 2000 guests in rooms due to unexpected norovirus. We had to find our own transporatio. When we finally found a representative from Royal Caribbean, they offered nothing - not even an acknowledgement that there was a problem. During the 4 hours we spent in the Ft Lauderdale Airport waiting for transportation home, we came up with a list of acceptable reimbursements. Yes, Royal Caribbean agreed to the compensation, but they made no attempt to offer it to us. They were more than willing to let us get on a plane & go home. I agree with you that they ultimately came through for us, but this was our 17th cruise (first with Celebrity) and the stress and aggravation involved were unnecessary & could/should have been avoided. PR is a big part of their game & somebody dropped the ball.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 PM

JAK We are missing each other here - I thought you meant you didn't want to come back to THIS site meaning to this forum.....sorry I misunderstood.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:10 PM

I just wanted to mention that Celebrity has been more than gracious in helping us plan our next cruise due to the cancelation of our Dec. 10th Millenium Cruise. They gave us notice much before the sailing date. I do not understand the confusion for those who did not receive their notices, and am sorry that they had such trouble.
Problems happen with all forms of travel, and I feel that Celebrity has done it's best at handling this issue with us. They continue to call us to make certain that our new plans are what we feel comfortable with. I appreciate all they have done for us to correct this problem.
Looking forward to our new saling date for Feb. 11th. Hope to hear from other sailors joing us. R & J
Old 12-23-2006, 08:43 AM

After reading this thread, I am left with one firm resolve. There is no better reason to book with an established cruise professional than as is documented here.

All of the cruise lines do an excellent job of communicating with cruise professionals. I don't even sell cruises and I received the same notice as Nancy Norris and the notice was also posted to the CruiseAgentDigest that cruise professionals use to communicate among themselves on a daily basis. The notice of cancellation was discussed in this forum, as well as most of the others (CruiseCritic.com, CruiseMates.com, etc)

It is difficult to understand how someone could be put in the position of those that traveled to Ft. Lauderdale unaware that the cruise had been canceled unless they had purchased the cruise from an agent that was completely oblivious to the cruise industry.

Here is a word of advice when selecting a local cruise professional. Find out how knowledgeable they are as a cruiser. Find out how many cruises they have actually taken and if they have cruised the line and/or ship you are looking to experience. Find out if they participate in the CruiseAgentDigest or other cruise professional forums and digests. Find out if they primarily sell cruises, rather than general travel to everyone. Don't trust an agent just because they work for a big travel agency, it is there individual committment to their profession that counts. Finally, access the peer to peer cruise forums that will allow you to access the most current information regarding your ship and cruise.

I hope this advice can help everyone in the future.

Tom
Old 12-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Tom,
Could have been one of those MLM's.
I hope Joanie is doing well.
Merry Merry Christmas!

Closed Thread

Tags
cancels, celebrity, cruise, excursions, millenium