Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:05 PM

I wonder whether anybody has been on a Celebrity Cruise to the Caribbean where there was ballroom dancing with dance hosts. I am a single, older lady who is a ballroom nut and who will probably travel alone. Can anyone share their experience or give a recommendation regarding this specific activity on cruise ships, specifically, Celebrity Cruises to the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:05 PM

I wonder whether anybody has been on a Celebrity Cruise to the Caribbean where there was ballroom dancing with dance hosts. I am a single, older lady who is a ballroom nut and who will probably travel alone. Can anyone share their experience or give a recommendation regarding this specific activity on cruise ships, specifically, Celebrity Cruises to the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned

I'm eager to hear the replies on this post. I love ballroom dancing but none of my cruises have ever had it. Carnival never has and Regent (radisson) hasn't had ballroom dancing either. If there is a cruise line that features BRD I would be interested.

Sodey
Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM

Carnival does have some ballroom dancing. It is very little, generally on formal night at the Captain's party. There are some cruise lines that are better for ballroom dancing. Cunard, Crystal, Holland America, and Princess. Celebrity has gentleman host, but not on every sailing. You would need to have your Travel Agent check on your particular sailing. Regent,Silversea,Norwegian, and Holland America have Gentleman Host also, but not on every sailing. Crystal and Cunard have Gentleman Host on every sailing.

Check here for theme cruises.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the messages. I hope there will be more discussion and input also.
I do want to add to my original post, that there are travel agencies who arrange groups to sail on cruises with the added activity of ballroom dancing. These agencies arrange for a certain number of gentlemen hosts who sail free. However, the additional cost (to the ladies) is almost as much as the whole cruise itself. I have heard of hosts before, and wanted to explore this more on my own.
So the important thing to do when booking a cruise is to ask whether there are gentlemen hosts for dancing. I find, however, that people will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. I would rather hear from someone who has actually danced on a cruise.
I would love to hear from passengers who have actually gone on a cruise and danced with hosts who were hired by the cruise liner.
Question is: 1) were they good dancers; 2) how much dancing were you able to do? 3) were you able to dance every night? 4) what type of music did the band play or did they use CDs.
Thanks a lot.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:27 AM

I sailed on Crystal Cruises, which employs gentlemen hosts on every cruise. There were 4 hosts, who could always be found wherever ballroom or other dance music was found. In particular, they were in a lounge onboard the ship every night, along with a live band playing ballroom dance music. The hosts would ask to dance the women traveling alone. I danced with all of them many times, each night of the cruise. I guess the number of times you dance depends on the number of single women present. They are trained in ballroom dancing, are outgoing and friendly, well dressed and will teach you the dance if you don't know it. Also, they were present during the day at certain venues where dance classes were being given, and other types of activities that included dancing. I hung out with one of them on a shore excursion we both were on.

I've also sailed Regent's Seven Seas Navigator, which employed two gentlemen hosts. It was the same idea as on Crystal.

Sandy
Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Goerich,
On the Constellation to the Baltics they did have 2 Gentlemen hosts, I have to say they were kept quite busy. However I am not sure about Ballroom dancing, the band played alot of different music and yes, dancing was going on every night. I loved watching the hosts they were very good dancers. I never was on a ship with gentleman host, but this one, so I wonder how the ship decides when to add host?

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-28-2008, 07:52 AM

Thanks, Janfred. I imagine that ships add gentlemen hosts when there are more days at sea/longer cruises. I am looking at Mexican Riviera (even though that is usually only 7 days) or a Caribbean Cruise, which is often 10-11 days. Maybe the latter is a better bet for dancing for me.

I love to dance, it is my passion. So for me, a cruise has to have dancing and hosts. Thanks. G
Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 PM

My husband and I have gone on several Celebrity Cruises and have found this line to have the most varied dancing venues. We also enjoy ballroom dancing and there were always 3 dance hosts working the different dance venues all night long. We particularly enjoyed the Celebrity because they always had a band playing all night long unlike some other cruise lines which would have several hours throughout the night where no there was no band playing. They generally have classical type ballroom music (foxtrots/waltz/swings) and another area of the ship where there was more latin/hustle type music. I have found that the cruise lines are not always consistent with the music venues on their cruises but I have always found the Celebrity ships superb! You will have a great time..Enjoy!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 PM

In response to Goerich's question regarding the experience of the dance host. My husband and I visited the the hosts and I danced with a couple of them a few times on the Celebrity cruises I went on. They are actually quite good dancers. My husband and I are experienced dancers and I generally have a difficult time dancing with other partners because the lead is not usually easy for me to follow... It could be I am not a good enough dancer or their lead was weak and not easy to follow, but I found the dance hosts on the Celebrity to be good leads. There are usually 2 bands and 1 DJ on the Celebrity, and there is dancing every night and usually all night long. When the last band would close down around 1:00am, there would be the DJ which should be playing until the last guest leaves technically... They provide a good variety. We have sailed on the Holland, Carnival, Royal Carribean, Princess and the Celebrity and we have found the Celebrity to be the most enjoyable as far as ballroom dancing. Hope this helps.
Barb

Closed Thread

Tags
ballroom, carnival, celebrity, cruise, cruises, dance, dancing, formal, gentleman, host, hosts, princess, ship, ships, teach