Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM

It sounds like the definitive answer eludes us but consensus suggests RCCL is in the lead. I like Sonny's comparison of steak to hot dogs. But I would put both RCCL and Celebrity in the "steak" category. This supports Raoul's "apples to oranges" comparison.

I don't know how Carnival found it's way into a comparison between RCCL and Celebrity but I personally have assigned Carnival the "hot dog" designation.

If you want to say that you have been on a great looking ship and never have to take part in all it's amenities, than RCCL is for you. If you want service, meals and creature comforts Celebrity seems ever so slightly in the lead.

If you are appreciative of constant bells and announcements, RCCL might be your preference. Celebrity makes an effort to minimize the announcments. On our RCCL cruises, we didn't usually hear the entire announcement so we felt like we were always missing something but on Celebrity it just didn't matter.

Once again this debate really points to the fact that cruising is an experience that can only truly be defined by personal interests and taste. There are times when I can go for a hot dog but if the steak is available...
Old 12-31-2006, 04:17 AM

My very first cruise was on the Mariner's maiden voyage and talk about being spoiled right off the bat! Then our second cruise was on the Carnival Glory, when it was brand new too! Somebody please pinch me on the beauty of these ships.

They were both great, but different experiences. My husband does not prefer Carnival at all. I think it sort of depends on the mood you're in and what you are looking for in your vacation. Because Carnival is advertised a a "party ship", people tend to come in with that attitude and just let their hair down.

Wanting to book an "impressive" cruise for my grown kids, (2 that have never been on a cruise before), and still looking at a reasonable price, I decided to go with the Voyager of the Seas because I was so very impressed with the Mariner and they are quite similar. The Promenade is fantastic. We will be on this ship in 6 days and I have some Promenade rooms booked for the first time. I think this will add to the fun as well.

I also wanted them to feel more "elegant" on the formal nights since I am MAKING them all bring suits or tuxes and long gowns. I just think RCI will be the right choice for a first time cruise impression.

Like I said, it just depends on where your mind is at when you go. From some of the crazy, (in a good way), people I met on Carnival, I'm sure they would much prefer Carnival over RCI.

Since my kids are into the nightclub scene and dancing, I thought maybe Carnival would be better from the party standpoint, but I still chose RCI in hopes that the nightclubs would be hopping and if not, they'd be the ones to get it going. Ha! (My oldest son, 27 is a DJ and spins in a lot of clubs).

Hope this helps,
Susan
Old 12-31-2006, 06:59 AM

Susan,

You can't go wrong with RCL. The dancing never seems to stop, the clubs are always going!

I like to think that putting Carnival behind you, you tend to weed out the booze cruise folks by a large margin. Carnival is trying to shake that image a little though.

Have a great cruise! (Hope you get your flight out of DEN.)

Ken
Old 12-31-2006, 08:24 AM

You should read the Carvinal Vs RCCL thread. CCL is far from being the booze cruise. That way of thinking is very antiquated.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:05 AM

Bill Clinton said he didn't inhale.

Carnival draws more party people than any other line. Fact.

Anyway, I thought this was a CCL vs. RCL comparison.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Now Ken.....don't say it is a fact unless you can list that fact. Isn't it really your perception instead of a fact?

Here is a fact: Up until this past summer, Royal Caribbean still allowed 18 year olds to drink. Carnival has had a strict 21 limit for many years now.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:
Bill Clinton said he didn't inhale.

Carnival draws more party people than any other line. Fact.

Anyway, I thought this was a CCL vs. RCL comparison.
Ken,
Didn't you mean CEL vs RCL discussion? Now that's a FACT.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

CEL, RCCL are sister lines in the same company

so it's more like a top round vs sirloin kind of comparison....i think celebrity is an older more elegant crowd that enjoys more formal nights and can pay a little more for a ticket.

where RCCL is mass market megaliner with something for everyone. I will not be drooling over thier newest ship planned to take 6000 passengers.

I do agree with the Tomato, tomato...apples, oranges remarks...when its a cruise its all good
Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 PM

You are correct as usual Dave. I lack the empirical data to make that assertion. It is perception. I stand corrected.

Isn't CCL "Celebrity Cruise Line"? Perhaps I am corrected on two counts? I do know that they are sister lines though. I would sail either without hesitation. Yes, when one is at sea, it is a good thing no matter what color the funnel is!

BTW Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

I guess within this thread: CEL is Celebrity. RCL or RCCL is Royal Caribbean. CCL is Carnival.

RCCL (or RCL) and CEL (or Celebrity) are both brands of RCI (Royal Caribbean International). Confused yet? It gets easier when you get to Carnival Corporation. They own just about everything else!

Closed Thread

Tags
12, caribbean, carribean, celebrity, compare, comparison, cruise, cruises, destiny, mellenium, olds, renata, royal, versus, year