Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Heading out with our kids (12 and 14) and want to know if they will be bored or enjoy the cruise. Does anyone know if the summer cruises have lots of kids on board for them to associate with?

How strict is the dress code for dinner and will my son need to be in a tie for formal nights? Our last cruise on Sun Princess was very relax on the dress code, even formal night.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance.

The wife and I have been to the Caribbean 5 times but never to Alaska, what other than scenery and no suntanning should we expect.

What sort of tour do you recommend for a first visit, and the wife would like to know what kind of shopping (duty free??) is there?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Hi Chipper,

Summer sailings to Alaska tend to have lots of families onboard, so I suspect your kids will be in good company. Just don't plan to see them a whole lot, especially after dinner!

Some folks will be dressed up on formal nights, but probably less so on this itinerary. Your son could probably get away without wearing a tie, but how much extra room will a tie take up? Take one in case he wants to wear it, if all the other young men are getting dressed up. If you take a dress shirt and two ties, he'll be ok for whatever he wants to do. We're sailing the Mercury to Alaska this month and my husband plans to take a jacket and turtlenecks for the dressy evenings.

Other than scenery, you'll be happy about the running commentary broadcast by an Alaska expert when you are near the glaciers, and at other times. Take clothing you can layer for warmth, so you can be outside on deck to watch the glaciers up close and personal. It can be really cold out there, but you don't want to miss it. Take binoculars.

I like the basic tours for a first timer, like the White Pass Railroad up White's Pass in Skagway (DON'T miss the museum of the gold rushers in town), maybe a trip to Mendenhall Glacier from Juneau. We're doing kayaking as part of this second visit to Alaska. Lots of people like the helicopter ride to a dogsled camp, complete with dogsledding, but it's very expensive, e.g. $500 per person. But when else will you be able to ride a dogsled?

Don't worry about duty free shopping. Except for your day in Vancouver, you'll still be in the U.S. when you're in Alaska.

Sandy
Old 07-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Thanks Sandy,

The more they find someone or thing to do the more time the wife and I will have. We are Canadians that is why I asked about the duty free shopping for the wife.

Enjoy your cruise and let me know how it was when you return....
Old 07-10-2007, 07:11 PM

Ah, you're Canadian. Sorry that didn't occur to me. In addition to a lot of kids being onboard, your kids may be interested in joining the formal children's program availble in the summer. They do age appropriate activities that the kids find to be fun, and can go as much or as little as you and they want.

Sandy

Closed Thread