Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:29 PM

Just doing a check to see if anyone is booked on this ship.

First time with Celebrity lines.

How does it compare with RCI.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 AM

Hi Lola

I too am booked on Summit for this coming February on a 14 night Panama Canal cruise. I have only cruise once and that was with RCCL on Explorer of the Seas. Whilst I thought RCCL was excellent (in fact it was the best holiday I have every had) I did feel that it was like a first class holiday camp. However that did not stop me booking for Legend of the Seas this summer but due to other things I had to cancel the cruise.

I am now in a position to book another cruise and for this one (being a very special belated birthday present) and an early release of some of my pension money it was a no expense spared kind of mentality that took me to looking at Celebrity and searching the web for opinions on the different lines.

Now you know that RCCL is the sister company of Celebrity (X) and the travel agent told me that RCCL is given 4* whereas X is 5*. Looking at all the different forums I came to the conclusion that :

X is more geared up for the mature generation. RCCL have the Rock Wall and a lot more facilities for children/teenagers.

RCCL is a much flashier ship, with brass and glass where X is more gentile and refined. You could say RCCL is more "tartish".

X has better food.

X has a radio of 2 passengers to every crew member whereas RCCL is 3.

There is a sommelier (wine master) on X but not on RCCL which suggests "finer dining".

X are more stricter regarding formal wear and the clientele on X seem to abide by the dress code rather more so than on RCCL.

Now these opinions are from what I have read and based on days and days of a fact finding mission I chose X.

For me X will give me everything I need in a cruise.

I am not allowed to give you the web address of another very good forum but I have to say that reading the two different sections, (there are several sections with individual cruise lines) you will get a feel that X is a better choice (for me anyway).

A lot of people will probably shoot me down in flames for putting down RCCL. As I said above my cruise on Explorer was the very best holiday I have ever had. I adored the choices, by getting dressed up on some evenings, or choosing to eat in the cafe or Johnny Rockets and my only criticism of RCCL was it was very much like a holiday camp, albeit a first class one.

ANother thing with X is that there are no loud speaker announcements.

At the end of the day its what you want from a cruise. If you want, party party party, than X will probably not be for you.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Summit
I have been on the Summit and it is the best ship I have been on and met some very nice people on her
Old 08-15-2006, 01:15 PM

Thanks......

How is X for kids. Our kids are 18,16,14 and 11. Will there be things for them to-do.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:04 PM

Lola

I am sure there will be but I think most posters would recommend you go on RCCL like say Freedom of the Seas to keep the kids amused. There is so much more for them on RCCL than Celebrity.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info. We have been on RCCL and love them. We wanted to try other lines.

I have heard that X isn't a party line, and we are not looking for that. I know most of the people will be OLDER!!!.

This will be a great time for all our families to get together in Hawaii.

Closed Thread