Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I can't find any port reviews on ports such as Dublin & Belfast,Ireland and also Edinburgh & Inverness,Scotland with a stop in St.Peter's Channel Island and Kirkwall, Scotland. This does seem to be the first and only sailing this year on Celebrity's Century to these ports and only one time,which is May 17th sailing, does anyone have any input to these ports? It's a done deal so hope it is special!

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 02-25-2007, 05:18 PM

I haven't been Ireland via cruise but have traveled to Ireland three times. Cruising is my first love and after cruising comes Ireland. It is a beautiful, wonderful, friendly country. There is plenty to do in Dublin. The Temple Bar area has many restaurants and pubs to choose from. Shopping is great on O'Connell and Grafton streets. Some of the famous things to see in Dublin are of course the Guinness brewery, The Book of Kells, Trinity College, and St Patrick's Catherderal. You can take an interesting walk along the river Liffey and view numerous statues and monuments. Check out this site here . In Belfast I would recommend taking a city tour to learn it's history. Hopefully it will stop by the city hall and let you look inside. It's beautiful.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Thank you so much for the quick reply and great tips. I love the web you provided. Thanks again.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 03-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Hello,

This is an excellent cruise. Some ideas for you. In Dublin you can take public transportation (bus) to see one of Ireland's most famous places...Kilmanheim Gaol. This is the prison where the English locked up and executed Ireland's rebellious leaders, that is, the persons who wanted a free Ireland. It is now one of the most interesting and touching of museums.

Also, do not miss Trinity College and the Book of Kells, and Saint Patrick's which was and still is, the center of Protestant Dublin and where Johnathon Swift wrote Gullivers Travels. And for a wonderful Irish pub experience visit Kehoe's which is near the Irish Parliament Building complex.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Edinburgh is, well just a great place to visit. See the Edinburgh Castle for the history and views of Edinburgh. Walk up Prince and George Streets, as Edinburgh is a wonderful city to walk in.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Fred, thank you so much for taking the time to help us. I will say that reading about and choosing an excursion can be very confusing when you have never been to that area. I for one always wonder, did we pick the right excursion, because you have such limited time. So, thank you.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 03-07-2007, 06:55 PM

Hello,

Dublin and Edinburgh are two of the easiest cities to get around, by walking and public transportation or even by taxi. You do not need a ship excursion to see the main sites of Dublin and Edinburgh. I am not anti ship excursion but these are cities where the English language is spoken, and simply walking will allow you to see these wonderful places and still have plenty of time to get back to the ship. As for Edinburgh, what is the port?

Fred
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Fred, our cruise with Celebrity just shows
Port/City Edinburgh / tendered, but I do believe it is about a 45 min drive to the city from reading some of the excursions.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 PM

Hello,

The reason I asked you what is the port for Edinburgh, is that the Firth of Forth, which is a spectacularly beautiful river that serves greater Edinburgh, is crossed by two bridges. I do hope that you get to see these bridges, as they are among the most interesting that I have ever seen.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Fred
Old 03-09-2007, 03:12 AM
Fred, We'll be on the look out for the 2 bridges. I have 1 last question, on the Royal Mile can you suggest a Pub that will give os a true exprience with the locals? We are thinking that on the Royal Mile it will be mostly tourist, or maybe you know another one that is within walking distant, what about Dublin or Iverness. Thanks again.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 PM

Hello,

I do not know of any pubs on the Royal Mile. While you are on the Royal Mile, there is a church where John Knox worked and also look in at the Royal Courts (legal) buildings.

In Dublin there is a truly interesting and historic pub near the Irish Parliament. buildings called Kehoe's. It seems that Kehoe's is a local pub because I have not seen this pub advertised anywhere. But please do not miss the Kilmanheim gaol in Dublin.

Do not hesitate to ask me questions.

Fred

Closed Thread

Tags
celeberity, celebrity, channel, cruise, cruises, dublin, edinburgh, inverness, ireland, irelandscotland, islands, reviews, scotland, stoppinfg, tour