Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 06:49 AM

I thought the ship was perfect for what I want. I have been on 25+ cruises, on most of the current lines and many that no longer exist. I thought the service was among the best I have ever had. I was on a 5 day in Dec. The ship was in dry dock in Nov? but had mainly mechanical upgrades.

When I was on the ship, they were upgrading carpeting in several areas. That having been said, I think that the ship was in as good a shape as most ships 4-5 years old that I have been on, and better than most. I saw no bare thread carpeting, and although the lunge chairs were very uncomfortable for me, they did not seem worn. Smoke is only a minor problem in the smoking areas (I canít believe a European has problems with smoke,) And the ventilation system must have been great, as When I went through those areas a second time, it was fine. I never had a problem with smoke other than near the Martini Bar, and on the rear deck on one occasion.

The entertainment was great. The dancers and singer put on a first class show, and they had a comedian (not to my taste,) and a magician who was amazing. Other activities were limited (no rock climbing, ice skating, or miniature golf.) Poolside activities (which I rarely do, ) were available, as were food demonstrations, afternoon tea, the dreaded BINGO, art and wine auctions, and a speaker on a specialty subject ( that I did not attend.)

The food was very good. We enjoyed the daily sushi, the waffles, and the great service. Dinner was comparable or better than most of the other lines best. Nothing spectacular about the restaurant, but it was a full ship, and I never felt as crowded as I have on other lines. There seemed to be something I really liked at every meal, and snacks when I needed something to keep my weight rising.

The ship is very small by todayís standards, which some people pay a premium for on upscale lines. The ship has not changed since its christening, so if you liked it before, are comfortable without the Las Vegas style plastic gaudy glitz, and want to be pampered, it might be a great choice. When I cruise, I look for good food (about as good as any I have had,) good service (again tops in this category,) good R&R, and good route (this was my only criticism, but all the cruise lines go to basically the same ports.)

Don't get me wrong. I am not an X apologist, and will cruise other lines in the future. I am basically a bottom feeder. I sail the best deal, many times booked as last minute cruises. But I have booked a Zenith 7 day in June and look forward to it. Must not have been too bad.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:53 AM

We went on the Zenith Feb '06 and loved it!....crew was exceptional and food was great. It may not be a glitzy ship with all the newest extras but it's so cozy and friendly (you know the Cheers song "where everyone knows your name"?....well that's the Zenith. I liked it so much that I'm going again in May...taking my mom on a 7 night cruise to Bermuda. I know there's been alot of talk about bad beds (I slept better than I do at home or anywhere else I've been), missing tiles (who'd bother noticing that when you're on a CRUISE?) and broken chairs, etc (never saw that). Just MHO but I would go on Zenith anytime!
May 2006 Zenith to Bermuda
June 2006 Carnival Legend 8 nite
Sept 25,2006 Carnival Legend
Oct 29,2006 NCL Spirit (11 nite)
Feb 4, 2007 Carnival Legend
May14-25th,2007 3 B2B on Carnival Fascination
Sept 24,2007 Carnival Miracle
Nov 7,2007 Carnival Miracle
Jan 14 Fascination
Jan 18 Miracle
Future cruises:
Feb 25 Fascination
April 21 B2B Imagination
Sept 7,'08 Legend
Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 AM

I agree, Popsec. I cruise Zenith in November and had a fine time. It's not a huge, new, glitzy ship, and that's it's appeal to many people!

Sandy
Old 04-17-2006, 01:11 PM

This is a sad posting. I have sailed on the Zenith a couple of times and I love her! Yes she is getting a bit old and yes she is a smaller ship without all the large double-decker rooms and a 7-floor atrium but I still really like her. My first Celebrity Cruise was on the old Meridian - talk about old ships, but she was, like the Zenith, classy! If you want jumbo and neon try Carnival.

Caribbean Travel Articles
Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 PM

I agree about the Zenith. She still gives a fine cruise. My first Celebrity cruise was actually pre-Celebrity. I sailed Chandris' "Amerikanis" twice in 1989, and had a great time.

Sandy
Old 04-20-2006, 08:39 AM

We just got back - off of Zenith - April 13 - 19 - The ship has some age - but it was great - this was our 4th cruise in a year. Our room was bigger then any other time. They treat you like a queen - I would go on the Zenith again.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:40 PM

I am booked in Nov for a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. My wife and our friends are really looking forward to this cruise. It's for 14 days. We have never been on this long of a cruise. We have cruised on RCCL several times and enjoyed then all. This is our first Celebrity cruise. I have read mixed reviews of the Zenith on this chatroom as well as others, and don't know what to think or expect. We signed up for this cruise because we liked the itinerary, and the price was very good. And we have friends that will only cruise on Celebrity. They are very experienced cruiser's and say that Celebrity is the best. I would like to know the real story on the Zenith. How does the food caompare to RCCL? As well as the entertainment? As far as activities aboard ship as long as they have a nice gym, good drinks and entertainment we will be happy. Any comments??? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 PM

Zenith - Great question -

The Zenith is a older ship -

The one thing I really notice was it wasn't keep that clean. Around the deck area - there would be glasses and trash left from the day before.

You will not find the food like on Royal Caribbean. There is "NO" mid-night buffets. About 10 p.m. they will have more like sample trays going around (most of the samples we did not touch - the meat looks raw). They just don't seem to put out the food like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. For dinner you can go to the sit down dinners or to the buffet room - but there you are seated and they bring you a menu and you still order from a menu (we found the food to be better in the buffet areas)

We found most of the guest to be older - the music they play around the pool is much softer - more for laying in the sun and sleeping.

When you are laying in the sun around the pool they do bring you "ice towel" and "ice treats" this was something that Carnival and Royal Carribean doesn't do.

The service was always great - at the buffets they are waiting there to carry your tray to the top. They will even carry it out by the pool.

My daughter that is 15 didn't really care for the ship- (She like Carnival)

For me it was a great quiet vaction. I didn't feel over rushed- everything seem to be much slower.

I did found them to be great with getting people off the ship at ports. They really seem to have that part under control.

We cruise often - I would say "This would be a ship that I would go back on"
Old 06-09-2006, 08:49 PM

We were on the Zenith for a 7 night to Bermuda a few weeks ago and there was the big fruit buffet at the pool party one night and the Grand Buffet in the dining room another night.
May 2006 Zenith to Bermuda
June 2006 Carnival Legend 8 nite
Sept 25,2006 Carnival Legend
Oct 29,2006 NCL Spirit (11 nite)
Feb 4, 2007 Carnival Legend
May14-25th,2007 3 B2B on Carnival Fascination
Sept 24,2007 Carnival Miracle
Nov 7,2007 Carnival Miracle
Jan 14 Fascination
Jan 18 Miracle
Future cruises:
Feb 25 Fascination
April 21 B2B Imagination
Sept 7,'08 Legend
Old 06-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Hi TonyTuna we are also booked on the 3 Nov 14 night Zenith cruise. In March 2004 we did an 11 night cruise on Zenith's sister ship the Horizon. It was our first experience of Celebrity and it was one of our best ever cruises. We have now done 16 cruises of which three have now been on Celebrity so you can see that we like their style. Horizon like Zenith is a smaller ship than most these days, but plenty big enough to have most of the facilities we need as we are not into rock climbing walls but prefer a comfortable pool lounger and a good book with a pleasant, rather than raucous pool band in the background. Horizon delivered that with friendly and efficient service in all areas, in fact we felt very pampered. The food was outstanding, the entertainment was good, and the ports were superb. So Zenith will be our fourth Celebrity cruise and we can't wait.
Princess Star 2003, Sun 2004
P&O Oceana 2004
RCCL Nordic Empress 2002
Regal Empress 2002
RCCL Legend of the Seas Apr 2006
Saga Ru** June 2006
P&O Arcadia July 2006
Carnival Miracle Oct 2006
Booked:
RCCL Navigator Apr 2007
P&O Aurora Sep 2007
QM2 Sep 2007
Sapphire Princess Apr 2008

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, celebrity, crew, cruise, cruises, dancers, docked, dry, members, names, review, reviews, ship, zenit, zenith