Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 12:43 PM

Good Afternoon. My family and I have been deeply disappointed with Celebrity's response after a silk Turkish Rug was stolen from our baggage during Disembarkation. The next before Disembarkation, we left for dinner with our bags open on our bed in our stateroom. We then put all of our luggage outside of our door be 11pm including the suitcase with the Turkish Rug in it. (BIG MISTAKE) The Rug was wrapped in brown packing paper, in a zippered black case, in another plastic bag. We retrieved our luggage from the dock, noticing that the zippers had been moved. When we got to the airport, we taped, and locked the bag. When we got home, it was to our agony that the carpet was gone. The thief’s had left the black zippered bag, the plastic bag, and one shred of the packing paper. There were two leather coats in the bag as well that were untouched. The carpet was at the BOTTOM of the bag, completely wrapped, along with 5 other of our bags. That bag was the only one that something was taken from. Targeted??? I think so.
We have been calling anyone possible at Celebrity to get them to acknowledge our claim and to provide us with some sort of explanation as to why it was not suggested that we keep a bag back, or not leave our carpet in the bag, or anything. Especially since it sounds like there has been quite a few similar situations.
We are at a loss. We will probably never be back to Turkey and our family is hurt that we have been the victims of such a crime.
As I read others posts, I am kicking myself under the table, wishing that I had this information ahead of time. I would like to ask if someone has any suggestions. We have travel insurance but it only covers $1000.00. The carpet was more than this. We are looking into our home insurance to see if we can recover some compensation from that as well.
It makes me extremely unhearted that Celebrity refuses to deal with these situations. It seems to be that they are turning a blind eye and these thief’s know that. They know that they are able to get away with this stuff and therefore, they continue to do it. I wish that Celebrity would pay attention to this matter, as it is becoming more prevalent. We are sick about this situation. We had a wonderful time on our cruise. The food, staff, and itinerary were awesome. It was my first cruise and I thought it was wonderful. It was my parents 5th cruise. However, all of us cannot even think of getting on another boat with Celebrity after feeling so ignored and dismissed.
I understand that it was our fault to be so naïve. Call it the Canadian in us. But, any feedback, or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank-You,
Sharlene
Old 12-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Hi Sharlene,
we had our things stolen as well and the only thing we can do at this point is try and claim it through insurance. We were also very upset and disappointed, and you are right, it's a Very Canadian thing to trust people as we are Canadian as well. Good luck with the claim - I am still waiting for the results of mine. At this point it's better to get something back from insurance because Celebrity will not budge or take responsiblity for lost or stolen goods.
Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 PM
It's not just a "Canadian thing"; most of us like to think of ourselves as trusting of others; but the hard, cold reality is there are thieves (and much worse) out there.
I find it difficult to believe that you planned a trip of this magnitude without coming across some basic safety information. RULE #1: keep anything of value, anything you don't want to lose with you! RULE #2: NEVER FORGET RULE #1!
It's easy to blame the cruise line, and maybe there was collusion with the dock workers, but you didn't have to give them the opportunity: people often ship large and expensive items home. And if you noticed something amiss at the dock, why did you wait until the airport and THEN lock it without even checking. You also could have/should have bought more travel insurance--$1000 isn't much for a family on a trip like this.
I am not unsympathetic to your plight; but you made so many errors in judgment that you really must share the culpability.
You went into a great deal of detail but you pretty much summed up everything when you said, "I understand that it was our fault to be so naive."
It sounds like you had a good trip otherwise, so don't let this incident sour you on travel or cruising; just be a little more travel-savvy next time.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM

I did not know that Canada was free of Crime. It sounds to me that you are confusing "understanding and sympathy" with paying for your missing items. As Dave Beers wrote sympathy and $1 gets you a cup of coffee. I think that instead of bashing the cruise line that you had a good time on, post some really valuable tips on protecting one self and crime scams in various ports. When you post on a web site like this you are posting to poeple who are most likely already booked (like myself) and will turn away from negatives like "do not ever book this cruise line". Instead post warning of various plots and scams that are encountered. You will really be helping people and doing good for others has to feel better than trying to revenge the cruise lines that may be not so effective. If you posted "Beware of silk carpet thieves in the Mediterean" or "Cameras stolen from docks at Barcelona". These will help people more than you know. I hope you get some compensation from the cruise line but that is between you and them.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:57 AM

Sorry to know this.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:59 AM

I am total agree with Mark O'C. I never had anyting stolen from my expensive suitcases...
My gussestions to Sharlen: Buy some good suitcases for your next trip to anywhere.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 AM

I am total agree with Mark O'C. I never had anyting been stolen from my expensive suitcases...
My gussestions to Sharlen: Buy some good suitcases for your next trip to anywhere.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Three words of advice when returning home with valuables:

"Self-Assisted Debarkation"
Old 01-01-2007, 07:55 AM

Sorry to hear about your losses, sadly we live in a world where this happens wherever we go and it is not likely to get better.

What exactly to you want Celebrity to do? Celebrity didn't steal your carpet. It was an individual. Your assertion that everyone has somthing stolen on Celebrity is pretty far fetched. Would they still be in business if that were the case? This happens to a very small percentage of people and I don't believe that it occurs more on Celebrity than any other line.

A loss like this is devastating and I feel for you but F-Mattox is right, if you are looking for someone to blame, I am afraid it rests on you. Nothing anyone says will repair feeling violated. Celebrity is not at fault and of course neither is being Canadian.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Hello all Canadians! I love Canada and you are a GREAT people. It's not a bad thing to thrust people and I'm truly sorry for what happened.

I'm norwegian myself and we are like you willing to believe that people we meet are good.

Next time, try NCL which have a lot of canadian crew (and norwegian officers that love canadians )

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, deal, good, items, princess, rugs, safety, stolen, turkish