Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:38 AM

I have just returned from a 12 day Baltic cruise on the Century. It's my first cruise on this line - I sailed on Royal Caribbean to the Mediterranean last year. The ship is very nice, extremely clean with a lot of very friendly, helpful staff available. I found the food to be plentiful but just average, which was a little disappointing. We were seated at a large table for dinner at the back of the ship and although it was nice to have the back and side windows beside us, it was very noisy since we must have been over the engines. We requested a table change on our third night and this was not a problem at all.
I also felt like the ship was a floating cash register! We were always being told we could spend money at the shops in port (think of the shopping channels on TV), purchase photographs at $26 each (pretty expensive, particularly since most people have digital cameras now), drinks were expensive and why should we have to pay to eat at Mirano's? Haven't we already spent a bundle booking our cruise?
We did bring liquor on board without any problem. It was nice to sit on our balcony in the early evening with snacks before dinner.
The itinery was very good and we were able to walk in every port. We did book the St. Petersburg tour with DenRus tours and were very pleased. We had an amazing guide, Anna who knew Russia's history so well.
All things considered, I would rate it 9 out of 10.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:55 PM

Going on the Century transatlantic Barcelona to Miami Oct27. Has anybody been on a trans atlantic crossing ? Wonder what weather is typical Oct 27 to Nov 9 ? Is there a covered swimming pool ? How is the internet ( e-mail) ?
Old 09-16-2006, 07:31 AM

There isn't a covered pool. The internet on any ship will depend on how well the ship is picking up the signal from the ship's position. In the Baltic there were some days when the internet would be down for a while then back up. You can pay per minute (I think .75), or buy bulk minute packages which work out cheaper. It is hard to say what the weather will be. I would take a light jacket and sweater or sweatshirt. Don't forget to take an umbrella. On our Baltic cruise they had umbrellas in our room to use throughout the cruise.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:58 AM

I was on the Century in the Baltic a month or so ago (you can see the review with tons of pictures of the ship at http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Century75.htm The Internet access is downright slllooowwwww. I purchased a 500-minute package and used the wi-fi in my cabin. I would strongly suggest taking a wi-fi enabled notebook with you if you plan on spending much time on the Internet. The entire ship is wired for wi-fi and it is much faster than the hard wired Internet access.

Tom
Old 09-22-2006, 03:03 PM

Thanks Tom, for the beautiful review.

I had read your review of the Mercury before I left and it was very helpful.

We are going on the Century next March even if it is for only 5-nights, we are looking forward to it.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:03 PM

You will love the Century. She really reflects Celebrity's commitment to excellence.

Tom
Old 09-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned

Tom
I am glad to hear the Century has improved. She was so rough before the refurb. that we quit sailing with Celebrity because of the condition's of thier ship's.We really liked the size and layout of the Century and the dinning room service was about the best out there. Tom

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, century, cruise, cruises, lines, reviews, wifi