Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 08:20 PM

I just posted a MEGA review of Celebrity's Century in the Baltic at;

http://www.cruisereviews.com/Celebrity/Century63.htm

Enjoy!

Tom
Old 06-16-2005, 01:54 AM

Thank you Tom for the great review.
I published the link in the german forum. I think it might be interesting to the german users, because the Century offers very good deals here in Europe and we gan board not far away. Amsterdam is for me a 2 1/2 hour ride.

So again, thanks for all the work with the review.

Best regards, Marita

Old 06-16-2005, 05:58 AM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the review - it sounded like you had a great time. You certainly seemed to have stayed up rather later than you usually do!!

One point though; you included a photo of the Flower Shop and captioned it with:

"One of the really cool things about the Century was the Flower Shop where folks could buy flowers for their cabins. It was a great touch."

I have a real problem with this. It used to be the norm that there were flowers (& a fruit bowl) that were replenished when necessary in your cabin each day. Then some of the mass market lines quietly stopped doing it. But are you telling us that Celebrity are providing a shop so passengers can pay for what was once one of the "nice touches" about cruising??

OK, another case of nickel & diming, but I am very disappointed that you regard it as "cool" & a "nice touch". To my mind, this is not something that should be applauded & I was appalled at your casual acceptance of yet another charge for what used to be part of the inclusive cruise experience.

Compulsory tipping, extra charge restaurants, buy your own flowers... I can hardly wait for the next creative little earner - perhaps a surcharge for nautical miles covered while on board or a penalty for time spent ashore instead of spending money on the ship

Cheers

Dave
Old 06-16-2005, 06:23 AM

Dave,
If you are an elite member with Celebrity (or staying in a suite) you still get flowers and fruit bowl replenished in your cabin. The Flower shop Tom referred to is an added revenue stream for the cruise line for sure - but it is intended to be used by passengers for personal purchases (i.e corsage or bouquet for a special celebration or recognition - just a way of saying "Thanks" or "I love you", etc to a significant other). I have used this service on numerous occassions to surprise someone special as they celebrate a special event and appreciate the service.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 06-16-2005, 06:32 AM

Dave, while I agreee with you in part, I did have flowers and a fruit bowl in my cabin, but would not have had the opportunity to purchase flowers for my or anyone else's enjoyment without the flower shop. I don't see it as a substitution at all, only an added choice I have if I wanted to patronize the flower shop. I am certainly under no obligation to buy flowers if I chose not to.

I see alternative dining options (not on the Century unfortunately) in the same light. Some feel that the cruise lines shouldn't charge for alternate dining venues, but I see it as additional options I can choose to do or not do.

Tom
Old 06-16-2005, 06:34 AM

Marita, thanks for publishing it in the German forum. There were a good number of Europeans on the cruise that I was on and they all seemed to like the Century. She is a great buy right now.

Tom
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by NancyN:
Dave,
If you are an elite member with Celebrity (or staying in a suite) you still get flowers and fruit bowl replenished in your cabin. The Flower shop Tom referred to is an added revenue stream for the cruise line for sure - but it is intended to be used by passengers for personal purchases (i.e corsage or bouquet for a special celebration or recognition - just a way of saying "Thanks" or "I love you", etc to a significant other). I have used this service on numerous occassions to surprise someone special as they celebrate a special event and appreciate the service.
Nancy
They had a flower cart on the Grandeur last summer (at least on formal nights) and we bought boutonnieres for our tuxes. We thought it was a nice touch - for a small price.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:30 AM

OK, Tom, Nancy & Adam,

I concede the point. I must admit the possibility of sending flowers to other passengers had totally escaped me & I saw only the absense of cabin blossoms. I am glad that in some cabins (suites) the tradition continues & thanks for politely pointing this out.

I still have a different view on the "alternative restaurants" Tom but that too is a personal choice thing and I guess the fact that they are persisted with shows that a sizable proportion of passengers like them as well.

I discovered cruising in the era of 6 & 7 course dinners, genuine duty free drinks & optional tipping, but the other side is that there were the majority of cabins without bathrooms, no entertainment as we know it today & a real dividing line between 1st & Tourist Class. So I'd better back off a bit. But not too much; in 1974, it was still cheaper to go 1st Class on the Galileo (an A deck Stateroom what's more) from Melbourne to Cape Town taking 19 days than to fly Economy. A mispent youth that I would like to mispend again.

Best wishes to you all

Dave
Old 06-20-2005, 10:48 AM

Dave, there is no right or wrong on the issue, just everyone's opinions. It sounds like you got the travelbug early and lived it out.

I too remember when cruises were more "all-inclusive" and when drink prices were a benefit of cruising. It is so interesting to see how this is all evolving.

Tom

Closed Thread