Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2005, 04:05 PM

I just returned from my 7-day Alaskan cruise on the Infinity. This was my first Celebrity experience, and for the most part, I would rate it a very good ship. The staff was fabulous and the ship was excellent.

My humble ocean view stateroom on deck 2 was a delightful surprise. I didn't expect the "port hole" window would be so nice and large and with a great view of the waves from deck 2! In Juneau, the ship docked on our side and we had a view of wood pilings below dock level; by mid-day the rising tide brought the window above dock... that was fun! The stateroom shower was superb; it was large and had so much headroom I never needed to take showerhead in hand.

My only complaint is that the food was boring. There were many options, but nothing outstanding (at least outside of the SS United States specialty restaurant). I always hope and expect to try new and exciting foods when I cruise and Infinity's menu was too "stuck in a rut" with the standard proven crowd-pleasers. Every day the buffets offered pizza, pasta, and cheese stations, homemade ice creams and sherbets, and even sushi, which was nice but not special. I give the German head chef credit for consistency and following a formula to insure all the bases were covered. I just wish he could do it with a little more of a creative flourish to tantalize those of us with an adventurous palate.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:26 AM

Hi jollyboy,

maybe they have now the same german chef, we had on the Zenith in february.

It was our first Celebrity cruise after some RCCL cruises and our expectations were big because they make their promotion with the outstanding cuisine.
But nothing was above average. Food on Brilliance and Jewel were much better.
I was thinking about travelling on the Infinity in december, but when I read this, I dont want to, because excellent dining is one of the reasons to go on a cruise.

Maybe they should ask some senior chefs from RCCL to come on board their ships and give advices to the galley staff, as they do on RCCL ships now and then.

Hey Celebrity management, ask Andrew Wachter, your Senior Pastry Chef, to come supervising your people, how to make excellent pastrys and desserts.
Or the german chef Thomas from the Jewel and I know many more, who can handle that.

Next time on Celebrity I expect an excellent cuisine and not average food, you promote your ships with 5 stars and outstanding cuisine.

Marita

Closed Thread