Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Chef Ken's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 2,258
Default
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Beers:
I thought it was very cheap when the lines stopped serving complimentary soft drinks in the dining rooms and at the buffet meals. And I think espressos and cappucinos should be included too. Sure, if it is a coffee with alcohol in it go ahead and charge me.

It is annoying to go to the buffet to get a burger and fries, and then have to flag down a bar server and wait for them to return just to get a Coke.
Dave,

I understand their thinking however, the soda costs them less than 2 cents per finished ounce. The espresso is about the same. So their profitability is very high on this sugar water that people seem to need so much.
To me, sodas are just mixers.

As we all know, not everyone buys the drink card, and not everyone drinks soda. So if they summarily increase cruise prices to cover this, they will stand to gain. It would make their profits less obvious and in the end make them look more "magnanimous" my making it
"all-inclusive".

Ken
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,767
Default
Quote:
Originally posted by Chef Ken:

I understand their thinking however, the soda costs them less than 2 cents per finished ounce. The espresso is about the same. So their profitability is very high on this sugar water that people seem to need so much.
To me, sodas are just mixers.

As we all know, not everyone buys the drink card, and not everyone drinks soda. So if they summarily increase cruise prices to cover this, they will stand to gain. It would make their profits less obvious and in the end make them look more "magnanimous" my making it
"all-inclusive".

Ken
Okay, so it costs them about 24 cents per 12 ounce serving, and let's say every person drank the equivalent of a case of sodas in a 7-day cruise. That is $5.76 per person in costs. Heck, it wouldn't take much of a fare increase to cover that and still turn a good profit. And of course most people won't drink that much in a week.
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,012
Default
Coke is a money maker for them just like it is for any restaurant. Can you imagine the waste if it was included. You'd see glasses all over the place with two sips out of it and then left. It disgust me everytime when I see a tray of food left where the person took three danishes and took one bite and left the rest. Or the breakfast plate left with a pile of bacon, or the plate left with three whole hotdogs.
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Chef Ken's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 2,258
Default
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
Coke is a money maker for them just like it is for any restaurant. Can you imagine the waste if it was included. You'd see glasses all over the place with two sips out of it and then left. It disgust me everytime when I see a tray of food left where the person took three danishes and took one bite and left the rest. Or the breakfast plate left with a pile of bacon, or the plate left with three whole hotdogs.
Cruise Fanatic,

From a restaurateurís point of view, we don't see that as waste. In the stomach or left on the plate makes no difference in terms of revenue.

You plan for excess and waste and build it into your pricing structure. (In this case the price of the cruise.) What am I going to do with a hot dog that has already been cooked?

Because someone is nice enough not to take it doesn't save me anything. I will have to throw it away or the staff may eat it.

I know it looks bad, but you should see what gets thrown away in the back.

Ken
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,012
Default
If people weren't taking so much to begin with then maybe the cooks could cut down on what they are cooking and not be wasting so much in the back either.
Many years ago Bob Dickinson said they would have to raise the rate of a cruise $20 a person to include soda. (I never agreed with that figure then). But if that's the way the executives think, then it would be even higher today. Some people wouldn't think that is much and others would. The way people stab Travel agents in the back to save $5 and bounce around from website to website to save $5, tells me many wouldn't like the cruise rate raised to include the cost of soda.
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Dave's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alabama
Posts: 17,767
Default
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruise Fanatic:
The way people stab Travel agents in the back to save $5 and bounce around from website to website to save $5, tells me many wouldn't like the cruise rate raised to include the cost of soda.
But aren't those the same people who complain to no end about having to buy soda? They want it both ways.

I know what you mean about seeing someone pile half a pan of bacon on their plate with no intention of eating it all. I stood in line behind a woman at the hotel buffet one cruise morning in Port Canaveral. She apparently was really into the Atkins diet and had a plate piled high with scrambled eggs (easily 6 servings) and then she proceeded to the omelet line and held it up for several minutes while she ordered three omelets and tied up all the pans. And then she ate about a quarter of it all.

But soda waste could be controlled if they at least made it complimentary in the dining rooms or other areas where it was served to them by a staffer. Same thing as the water or iced tea.
__________________
Dave
Editor, CruiseReviews.com
 
Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, alcoholic, beverages, carribean, celebrity, constellation, cruise, drinks, free, nonalcohokic, nonalcoholic, offered, royal, wine

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising with a sober alcoholic ASH72 Carnival Cruise Line 7 02-26-2009 04:10 AM
Alcoholic drinks and Coca Cola etc... Erik (from Holland) Carnival Cruise Line 8 09-03-2007 11:03 AM
Drink Passes-Alcoholic & non alcoholic HemiGRL Royal Caribbean Cruise Line 1 07-27-2006 03:17 AM
Non-Alcoholic Beer luvthesea General Cruise Chat 2 04-17-2005 07:17 PM
Alcoholic beverages rosekilleen General Cruise Chat 3 01-05-2005 03:37 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
 

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Contact Us - Terms of Use - Cruise Reviews Home - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2