Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM

AM BOOKED ON MERCURY RETURNING 8-31 SUNDAY OF LABOR DAY WEEKEND. HAVE A RENTAL FROM PORT TO SEA. WHAT IS THE LATEST TIME WE COULD EXPECT TO BE OFF THE SHIP? DRIVE TIME IS ABOUT 3-3.5 HOURS AND WANT TO BOOK 1:15 PM FLIGHTS BACK TO THE EAST COAST.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Hi GRAMMY1, and welcome to cruise-chat.com.

I wouldn't book a flight as early as 1:15 pm from Seattle if you're debarking in Vancouver I have a 12:30 departing from Vancouver, and that's even cutting it close. I'll leave someone with more knowledge of the Vancouver-to-Seattle trip to answer your question on the earliest flight time from Seattle. Remember that in addition to the drive, you also have to leave time for customs/immigration at the border, returning the car, checking in for your flight, and airport security.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

I hate the flight schedules from SEA to the east coast. I am tempting fate for our upcoming cruise from Seattle by having an 11:35 departure. Otherwise we'd have to wait until night time and the joys of overnighting home to Huntsville via Detroit. Odds are we'll make the flight, but I am nervous already!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 PM

I am confused. What airport are you flying out of?
If you are going out of Vancouver the drive times is only about an hour. If you are going to Seattle, be ready for a long wait to get across the border. Last summer we were in line waiting to cross for 1 1/2 hour, we were told that is normal.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 AM

Flying out of Seattle. Earliest flight in our party is 1:25. Travel agent says nothing before 2 PM. Researched wait time for crossing the border and they say 10 min but not hearing this could be much longer. Flights are already booked unfortunately.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 AM

My Cousin was in Vancouver last week. It took him about 1 1/4 hour to cross. Note that was just the time in line, not the additional drive time. It looked like the person ahead of us last year did not have any of their passports and other papers out and ready. I think I have been behind that person in a grocery line before.
It is funny while you are waiting. You can watch people exit their cars and run at top speed to the bathrooms. Its not like they are going to get left behind. Their cars usually only move a car length or so.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Picture of Dave Beers

Posted January 27, 2008 09:38 AM Hide Post
I hate the flight schedules from SEA to the east coast. I am tempting fate for our upcoming cruise from Seattle by having an 11:35 departure. Otherwise we'd have to wait until night time and the joys of overnighting home to Huntsville via Detroit. Odds are we'll make the flight, but I am nervous already!
Dave it is a short trip to Sea/Tac. In 2005 after our Princess cruise, we took my Aunt to the airport. Her flight was at 12:35. When she checked in they offered her an earlier flight 10:50. I think we waited 1/2 hour for it. We were playing with the Grandkids in Bremerton by 12:30.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Dave it is a short trip to Sea/Tac.
Thanks Gary!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Grammy1, I'd look into changing those flight times out of Seattle. Working backwards, those on the 1:25 flight will need to be checked in by 12:00-12:25 (depending upon airline). I'd even tack at least another hour onto that for waiting to check in at the airport, as there will be three cruise ships disembarking passengers in Seattle that day. So, you'll need to be at the Seattle airport by 10:45/11:00 at the very latest. Add another 3 hours for the drive plus 1 to 2 hours for the border crossing, and another half hour to return the car, and you'll have to be off the ship before 7:00, which is not likely to happen.

Remember, a 1:25 flight starts boarding at 12:55, and pax typically have to be onboard 10 minutes or so prior to departure.

Even if everything should go smoothly, you're taking a pretty big risk.

Is there a reason you can't fly out of Vancouver instead?

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, book, cruise, cruises, debarking, departure, drive, earliest, flight, long, port, princess, seattle, time, vancouver