Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Celebrity Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2007, 07:51 PM

Hello. My original posting was far too specific so I try again. I am 50 years young), have own businesses and looking to cruise between now and end of March with a lady friend. Somewhere warm. Although we are UK based, we do not have a problem leaving from the US or beyond. Having travelled around the world on several occasions, I have never cruised. Ideally, we are looking for a cruise where ladies travelling alone can enjoy the company of other fellow travellers, possibly travelling alone without looking our of place. I am currently researching Crystal, P & O, Cunard, Windstar and Celebrity. Any suggestions please?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Hi Mo and welcome to Cruise-Chat.

With the exception of Windstar, I think any of the lines you mentioned would be terrific. No one can say specifically if there will be ladies traveling on their own on any cruise line or specific ship and sailing date, but since cruising is such a terrific, safe and friendly vacation for single travelers, each cruise is almost certain to have some. In any case, you will not, under any circumstances, feel out of place, particularly since you're traveling with a friend.

I've never sailed the P&O ships, but have sailed all the other lines you mentioned. I don't recall about Celebrity, but I know for certain that Crystal and Cunard have "gentlemen hosts" who attend all the dance venues, and dance with unaccompanied ladies. I just got off Cunard's Queen Mary 2, and there were 6 hosts circulating, and all the women were having a great time dancing. On Crystal a year ago, there were 4 hosts on the Serenity. I was traveling without my husband on that one, and was accompanied by my sister-in-law. We had an absolutely fantastic time on the cruise, never felt out of place, and danced for hours at time with the hosts in the evening.

Windstar is in trouble and has been cancelling its cruises. I think the future is still uncertain.

Cruising is always a welcoming, inclusive environment, and I suspect that once you cruise, you'll be hooked like the rest of us.

Sandy
Old 12-24-2007, 12:09 PM
You will enjoy cruising....and without a doubt, you will have a smashing good time....and any of the cruiselines you've mentioned should be a good choice....RCL seems to have many Brits on board the times I've sailed with them....and as always, they were having a lovely time of it..Enjoy your first cruise...and I'm sure there will many more to come..

Bob E
Old 12-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
Hi Mo and welcome to Cruise-Chat.

Windstar is in trouble and has been cancelling its cruises. I think the future is still uncertain.

Cruising is always a welcoming, inclusive environment, and I suspect that once you cruise, you'll be hooked like the rest of us.

Sandy

I haven't heard of Windstar having any problems. It is Windjammer that has been having financial problems and had to cancel several cruises. Windstar is an excellent product, but would be mostly couples sailing.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Hello Mo:

I see that NCL ( Norweign Cruise Lines ) was not on your list, and I think you should seriously consider one of their newest ships. How about a beautiful 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise from Miami, Florida on one of the newer ships like the NCL Pearl or NCL Jewel. The Penthouse Suites, Owners Suites and Garden Villa are all very upscale accommodations, and you would have over 11 restaruants to choose from, great privacy and service if you were to choose the suites or Garden Villa. Each suite provides and offers concierge and private butler services. You will be provided excellent service, food and entertainment. The intinerary is very nice and well planned. We are NCL Platinum cruisers and have experienced the above service many times. I can't see how you would be disappointed, unless you want formal nights for the majority of the cruise. They will have at least 2 formal nights, otherwise, dress up as much as you want with a caribbean flair. Don't discount NCL...they are very worth consideration on either the NCL Jewel, NCL Pearl or newest ship the GEM. January thru March 2008 is a great time for the Caribbean.

With the increased value of the Euro vs US Dollar, this choice would be considered a bargin cruise, and you certainly could step up to one of the suites or the Garden Villas itself with the strength of your own currency vs the USD. And don't be surprised, I am sure that because of this value for European travelers, you will find passengers from all over the world, both European and others.

At least give NCL some consideration for the reasons mentioned above. Plus at age 50 do you really want to travel on a geriatric cruise? NCL attracts many middle aged travelers as well as older. Age 50 is NOT old. As far as meeting others, most cruise lines offer single get togethers to meet others and if you choose, just select a table of 6 or 8 for dining, and you will have NO problem meeting and conversing with other passengers. If you want privacy, you can have that at your own request. I also suggest a cruise slightly longer than the typical 7 day cruise especially since you will be traveling from Europe. The 7 day cruises have a tendency to go by really fast, and most cruisers don't want to get off the ship due to the cruising experience that they have just had. Also consider a back to back cruise with two different intinearies on each cruise.

For the first time cruise this would be ideal especially if you want value and are willing to travel to the good ole USA.

No matter what you choose, cruising in itself on any line is a great value, lots of fun, and can be very exciting with a great intinerary. I am sure you will have a "smashing good time" on any cruise.

Richard & Mary
Las Cruces, New Mexico USA
Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 PM

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed response. NCL sounds perfect and we have already begun our research into availability.

I have doubts about cruising mainly because I have never been used to being confined to people or space. I travel extensively through my business and I am used to meeting men and women when I travel alone. Whilst I realise that it's the luck of the draw whom you may or may not meet, the thought of a cruise with just couples, does not fill me with delight.

I can't remember the phraseology used when posting my original enquiry - you are quite right 50 is certainly not old and I certainly do not want to be part of a geriatic sailing party.

Again, many thanks.

Happy New Year.
Mo.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I haven't heard of Windstar having any problems. It is Windjammer that has been having financial problems and had to cancel several cruises.
Oh my! I've gotten "wind" of the fact that I got my winds mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

Sandy
Old 12-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Mo:

Here's a link to a review on the NCL Pearl and the 9 day Southern Caribbean cruise. Hope this helps.

http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/...2/m/9541053192

Hope you enjoy the review.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:54 PM

I am going to give a lot of support to Sandy's (the moderator) comments and recommendations. We have been on all the mentioned cruise lines (many times) and would choose Crystal if you are looking for elegance (on the ship and with the passengers). The new Cunard ships are also fine. As to P&O, you will find mostly Brits on this line and the menus are also designed to appeal more to the British palate. We recently talked with a few "Brits" during a transatlantic cruise who said they had been disappointed with the food P & O on a recent cruise....but this is heresay and only one opinion. As to NCL, I will run the risk of getting "flamed" and call them more of a budget line which might be too informal for the British Ladies. NCL also uses a "Freestyle" dining plan which means you do not get the assigned table (and sitting) experience you would get on Crystal, Cunard or P & O. As to Windstar, their ships are quite small and might be a bit boring for unattached ladies. I guess I should also add Princess into the mix because they are a large cruise line somewhat less expensive than Crystal and offer many different itineraries. On Princess you would probably find that the average passenger age in around 50...but keep in mind that if you cruise during the summer holiday months, spring break time, or Christmas you will find hundreds of teens and kiddies. As to Celebrity, they are also a decent choice.

Keep in mind that as a general rule, the longer cruises (over 10 days) tend to attract an older crowd whereas the 7 - 10 day market often attracts more families, children and teens.
Hank
Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 PM

Hank,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to express your opinion. All of your comments are valuable.
Kind regards,
Mo

Closed Thread

Tags
age50, butler, cruises, jewel, norweign, reviews, service, single, travellers